Going to Washington. how can I carry.

cloud8a

I am flying to Washington in a couple of weeks. We will stay in Seattle 2 days then drive to La Push on the other side of Olympic National forest. We will stay there 2 days and then go to Port Townsend.

Am I able to carry as a Texas resident in any form?
Can I carry in Olympic National Park?

Does anyone have a link to these particular laws online.

I would not recommend open carry anywhere in Washington. Why? Because the level of education regarding what's legal and what's acceptable with law enforcement here is, ah... varied.
In the right place, with the right LEO, open carry is fine and dandy... with the circumstances turned, you, at best, get your gun confiscated and a date for court.

Although this would constitute breaking the law and is put forth purely for entertainment... if the gun is well concealed on your person, sufficient that it does not print and would not be seen even by a trained eye... you might want to consider concealed carry.
(If you carry a full size .45 under a tight t-shirt... forget it. :p )

My perception is based on the fact that I've carried legally in WA state nearly every day for over 15 years, and have never been given a second glance (to my knowledge) by anyone, anywhere... and this includes being in close proximity to large numbers of LEOs at one time.
Granted, I generally don't look or act like a suspicious person, but rather "Joe average" going about his daily business... which goes a long way towards being invisible.

The visible gun can cause anxiety in others. A gun unseen is... not a gun. Successful concealed carry is a form of "social camouflage".

The option is to leave the gun at home and enjoy your trip knowing that the likelihood of you actually needing a gun is very, very slim.

C

National Park carry is not yet legal, per federal rules. We have to give the credit card companies time to change their practices before we can carry in NP.

Pops

Although not listed in the Washington reciprocity "states list" provided, I assume you're using the map in your link showing that Texas honors the Washington state permit, combined with this statement in the Washington state law, to arrive at your conclusion.

Washington’s Firearms and Dangerous Weapons statute (RCW 9.41) was amended in 2004 to allow non-Washington residents to carry concealed weapons in Washington if they have obtained a concealed weapons permit from another state that meets certain conditions imposed by Washington’s reciprocity law, RCW 9.41.073. Those conditions are:

1. The other state must have a reciprocal statute allowing Washington residents to carry concealed weapons in the other state if the resident has a Washington concealed pistol permit; and
  2. The other state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and
  3. The state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.
If the above conditions are met, the concealed weapons permit of an out-of-state resident will be recognized in Washington as long as the permit holder does not become a resident of Washington State. Additionally, the permit holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of Washington State*. Washington concealed pistol permits will be recognized in those states which have the reciprocal agreements with Washington. Washington residents should check the laws of the state they are traveling to, in order to comply with the concealed weapons permit law of that state.

So... if the Texas permit requirements meet the Washington State conditions, then the Texas permit would be honored. At least that's how I interpret the statute amendment.

C

Check out the link at http://www.handgunlaw.us - as I read it, WA does not recognize a TX permit. WA is however an open carry state. But as it has been posted, it is probably not a good idea to test the level of education of the local law enforcement. Failing the attitude test can have dire consequences (and ruin a month or so of your life) and a lot of officers can be a might touchy about a Texan explaining their statutes to them.

Once you resolve the status of your TX permit up here, I have carried legally (WA permit) in Olympic National FOREST; you just have to be careful not to wander into Olympic National PARK. (It's legal to carry in WA State Forests with a permit, which means it's also legal to carry in National Forest lands within WA.)

There is some nice camping that's outside the park--we found it because I told the wife I wouldn't go camping anywhere I couldn't pack.:D

As I read the Handgun Law site, the Texas permit is not honored in Washington. A Utah permit would be, but the OP probably doesn't have time to get one. And I believe that Washington issues non-resident permits, but again, there probably isn't time.

The Texas CCW is NOT valid in Washington:
http://www.atg.wa.gov/page.aspx?id=7772

Open carry is fine, generally you won't have any problems. I open carry every day.

HOWEVER, without a CPL, you CANNOT have a loaded handgun in a vehicle, period, anywhere. And you cannot conceal a handgun on your person, even if it is unloaded, inside or outside of a vehicle. So, in the vehicle, it is best if it is unloaded and placed somewhere NOT on your person such as glovebox.

I have no idea regarding the National Forest and carrying.
National Park carrying is still prohibited by Federal Law - the gun must be transported unloaded and in a locked case or broken down in a non-functioning state.

Here's a couple links to get your started:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41
Specifically look at 9.41.050 and 9.41.060

And:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/

Really, don't sweat open carrying in Washington at all, you will have minimal problems.

Also, by the way, there are no additional requirements to carry in state, county or city parks. State law preempts them all, there is no permit required to open carry in any of those places.

Last edited:
Back