Going to Thunder Ranch - have questions.

rock_jock

Going in September for Urban Rifle I. Any and all advice appreciated.

1. I am unsure how to handle mamagement of my mags. I have a drop-leg 3-mag pouch from Blackhawk that I have used in competition and feel fairly comfortable with. With one in the rifle and another 3 in my pouch, will this be enough to toake to the range for a single shooting session? Did you ever need more than 120 rounds to "bring forward"? Obviously, this will not suffice for the day, and I plan to have several more mags nearby in my pack. I guess my question is, do I need to buy another 3-mag pouch for my other leg?

2. Regarding water, I have read several posts by other former attendees who have mentioned that they wished they had brought a hydration system since this reduces the time needed to go back for constant refreshment. I'm thinking of buying a Camelback or Hydrastorm in the 70 oz. size for this very reason. Opinions on whether I need one and preferences on the two I mentioned would be appreciated.

3. What should I use for a pack for extra mags, snacks, camera, etc? Is there a central place that the students return to every hour or so? If so, I envision bringing a small cooler, collaspsible chair, and a backpack filled with the above listed items and stationing it at this central location. If not, I need to bring something smaller and lighter that I can haul around. Advice please.

4. What is the maximum number of handgun rounds that I will fire at any given time? The reason I ask is that I will probably bring my Glock 23 and I only have a 1-mag plastic pouch for that gun, which will give me access to 20 rounds (one mag in the gun, one in the pouch). Do I need to order a 2-mag pouch?

- rock

Thunder Ranch

My group of shooters has been there several times and we did take Urban Rifle 1. Taking four mags to the line should be plenty. Have a few more in reserve and for quickly reloading your mags use stripper clips. This will keep you ahead of the curve. Reload whenever possible.2 hydration systems, if its hot you'll get plenty of time to get hydrated. I would not put any extra weight on. Insulated drinking mugs are provided. You will bring your gear to the line or rather ten yards behind it, I would use a over the shoulder pack to haul everything to the line. Good luck at TR ! If the cabins are available stay there......John

Four mags online should be just fine. I ran an AK with 12 mags and only had to reload mags at lunchbreak. I generally ran with a single spare mag in my left rear pocket [kind of like if I grabbed my AK and a spare mag without buckling into full battlerattle].

1. The setup you have is fine.

2. Its nice to have a Camelbak, but not necessary. They bring a huge water cooler to the range and encourage you to hydrate often.

3. Each range a has parking area with a shed to leave your gear. You will need a range bag to carry ammo and mags closer to the firing line.

4. A 2-mag pouch is nice to have but not necessary. There won't be much pistol shooting, it is a rifle class. They will practice using the pistol as a back up weapon.

I live just down the road from thunder ranch, I like using my tactical tailor lbv, it hold 12 AR mags, also has hydration system.

I have found mag pulls to be very helpful.

TG

Back