Going to Start Shooting C&B revolver

yournodaisy

Well guys, I've been on here a while now, mostly revolvers ( modern ) , assault rifles, and African rifles. Now I'm interested in Black Powder revolvers. I bought a beautiful Uberti Walker in .44. Thanks to previous post, I was able to know what to get for it. My main question was .454 or .451 balls but from what I've read, .454 is the most common. I'll see what it likes best. Can't wait to get started. Film at 11.

Cool :)

I am in the process of getting my 1851 Colt Navy ready for warm weather black powder shootings season. :D

I also have a brand new Spiller and Burr I just got, I need to get it ready to!

I just downloaded the newest manual for the Walker from the Uberti site. It lists both .454 and .457

I wonder what's up with that?

Birch

Welcome to the dark side!

I wish I could be there to see your smile the first time you shoot it!
The answer to you question on .454 or .457 etc. is....
It depends! I would buy both, and see what your gun likes. No two are the same so you will have to work up a load combination of ball and powder that your gun likes. Even two of the same guns from the same maker might like different loads, so, experiment with, it. Such is the joy of a BP shooter.
On a more practical note, when you seat the ball, it should shave a small ring of lead off the ball, which you will see as you retract the loading lever. If the ball seats with little or no pressure, it is too small. If it requires a Herculean effort to seat, it is too big. Go for Goldilocks, not too tight, not too loose.
Most BP revolvers will shoot most accurately at a load that is in between the minimum recommended and the hottest, or most that will fit in the chamber. Your Walker will fit an enormous powder charge. Probably won't be accurate at the highest powder charge, so somewhat less than that will give you good groups. I don't have a Walker, but do have a dragoon and it likes about 30 gr or so of 2F.
You also may find that the loading lever falls down every time you shoot it. This is common on Walkers. Many folks tie the loading lever to the barrel with a thin piece of leather after loading to prevent this. If the loading lever falls, then the loading ram blocks the bottom chamber preventing you from cycling to the next round. It is not just unique to reproductions.
You're gonna love it! My Dragoon (which is the son of a Walker) is my favorite to shoot.

PS. I assumed that this was your first cap and ball revolver. If so, read the post at the top of this forum "so you want to shoot cap and ball revolver".
There is a mountain of good advice there.

I love the creative aspects that unfold behind a loading bench, and I love to shoot. My favorite thing about cap 'n ball revolvers is they mix the two. I like to take 5 or six different types of propellant, several different balls and conical projectiles...and a grocery bag full of empty soda cans....to a gravel pit on a sunny day. I find there aren't enough hours in the day, and smiles on my face, within the same number of rounds id' fire through a semi-auto in 45 minutes. I appreciate shooting ALL of my firearms more, since I started cap and ball shooting.

Another fix for the Walker is to file the latch that holds the lever up. But from what I've read you have to do this a very small bit at a time. If you take too much off it doesn't want to let go.

I use .454 in my Walker. Yeah, the latch falls. I slide a piece of leather with a hole in it over barrel and lever.

Ive shot my BP Hawken, so I'm only new to pistols. This should be a hoot. Now to add to my collection, I want an Uberti 1858. Don't know if I wasn't C&B or 44-40 cartridge. Oh my!

Back