Going to check out an older Savage 110... tips?

antsi

I've been looking for a bolt gun for some time. I ran across this one listed on a local gun board. It is a Savage model 110. I don't know the exact age of this, nor do I think the seller does. It is definitely not one of the newer ones with the Accu-trigger.

I'm meeting with the guy to check it out and have a chance to shoot it. For those of you who are familiar with these guns, what should I look for? Is there anything I should know about these guns? Where to inspect for signs of abuse or just plain used up?

What caliber? I seriously doubt if it's used up. If it looks good, it probably is good. And it's pretty easy to tune the trigger on the pre-Accutrigger Savages.

ski,
It's a .30-06, which is another plus for me. I already have a Garand and lots of brass, dies on the way. I'm trying to keep my number of different calibers within reasonable bounds.

I like what you say about tuning the trigger.

It has tangent iron sights on it, which are not my favorite (I like peeps for iron sights, will probably scope this gun if I buy it). However, I ought to be able to shoot it well enough to tell if the barrel is shot out.

ADDED -
I've been doing some comparison pricing in the "sell" area here and on Gunbroker. The guy is asking $300 FTF. From what I have seen, that price should command pristine condition for this model rifle. Am I about right on that?

Last edited:
I don't know how the older model trigger adjustments are to fine tune, but the one (a new non-accutrigger 111 in 270) I had done turned out great, down to 3.5 pounds. A blogger on this site said that with some lube and 40 or so trigger pulls it can be done for next to nothing. I on the other hand, had it done by a gunsmith for $45.00, money well spent. I guess it's what ever blows your hair back.

Last edited:
Back