going to blackwater have a ?

sgtgrunt

im go to balckwater to take two classes Advance carbine and a medic class. but i have a question on how to get my ammo there.i plan on fly and im going to bring about 1000rnds of my own ammo, how do i get it there on the airline. im sure theres a way i have to pack it does anyone know.

"Anyone can make holes but it takes skill to plug them." quote by SGTGRUNT

Ship the ammo ahead of time UPS to Blackwater, and make sure you insure it and get tracking numbers.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Betcha the airlines have some kind of weight limit on ammo :( With costs these days you come carrying 1000 rounds + luggage if you are probably a pund or two over they are going to hit you with an excess baggage fee...

Go Brown......

Airlines all seem to have thier own rules, TSA hes the vague "personal use" rule 1,000 may be pushing it. Try to ship it, or buy it when you get there. Maybe contact blackwater and ask them.

Most airlines have an 11 lbs weight limit for ammo. I've packed 1000 rounds of .223 into my bag and only had TSA open up a box to swip for explosives and then relock the bag and send it on it's way.

ups is so expensive for that type of weight and from what iv been told the ammo there is expensive. has anyone on this forum been there and what did they do. i already drop a **** load of money for the classes.

Don't know if this will save you any money, if your coming a day or two early,once your here you could drive over to the Bass Pro in Newport News, they normaly have enough of what you would need,,, Or maybe call BOB's Gun SHop in Norfolk, and see if they have it on hand, and if they would hold it for you

I'm pretty sure that there are others who have gone to Blackwater for training and were from out of state and flew in by commerial airlines.
Perhaps you could contact Blackwater ahead of time and ask them for advice on this subject and what previous out of state students have done to get their ammo there. Maybe they can even tell you if you can purchase ammo there or anywhere nearby for a decent price.

Don't know about Blackwater, but most places I've been would accept and hold ammo for you tha twas shipped to them. So what I frequently have done is ordered a case (or whatever) from a supplier and asked them to ship it to the training site. Works out pretty good.

I had a pistol event in Reno, and shipped my ammo beforehand. It wasn't that expensive, and it was sent ground (which ended up being about $30.00 shipping). Priceless if your using reloads built for your gun, but perhaps a waste of money if your capable of buying it there for $3 more a box

i like the idea of going to the bass pro shop. im going to try and find the local one. but when it comes to shipping my weapons, im going to have to say thats a no go. thanks for all the help guys.

Something that most people never consider: Wal-Mart.
They are almost everywhere and they usually have ammo at good prices. I know of at least one, that is located near a gun school that has no problem at all with people calling up and reserving ammo for their class.

Ship it ahead of time. All the big carriers limit you to 11 pounds (even though the FAA does not) and if they know you have ammo you will have to have someone come and pick it up (yes, this has happened to me). It might cost 15 bucks or so but it is worth it to not have a hassle of running around looking for ammo.

-David

Back