• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Going south

Shadi Khalil

Hello All,

I have been a member of this forum for quite sometime now, I spent alot of time lurking and learning. What attracted me to this forums over the others was the sheer and wealth of experince cashed within these threads. There are hundreds of excellent, in-depth, intellecutal disscusions that have taken place on this board that rival any gun mag/disscusion board. We got Massod Ayoob over here for crying out loud....All that being said, maybe its just me but lately I've noticed a trend of decline in the quality of some post and discussions. It seems that every post has the potential to turn into a this vs. that thread that eventually gets locked. Alot of people cant ask questions without getting sold on or scolded for not having a certain brand or preferance. I think fanatical brand loyatly plays a large part in this. I've noticed alot of threads lately peppered with pointless picks, useless comments/plugs and worst of all, out right hostilty towards other owners.

I'm not trying to sound like an elitist in anyway and I'm sorry if I do. I just want this to be a place where, myself and others can come to learn and discuss firearms without all the nonsense. I know we are growing everyday and thats a good thing, I just think we need to take it on ourselves to keep the forum what its always been, a commuinty of responsible and knowledge firearms owners. If thats not who you are yet, sit back and learn a little before you go post carzy. That's what I did, hence my long time hear but low post count.

So am I the only one who is noticing this? I'm sure many of you will say its been happening the whole time. What are you views?

I haven't been here as long as you have, but I can tell you that I've been doing internet discussion forums since 1995, IIRC. So I've seen the natural progression of discussion boards. This one is better than most. One way to prove that is that I expect this thread to quickly get ushered to the proper place to discuss it, and this area is NOT it.

That's my point-- the moderators here are good at what they do, and that helps a lot. A suggestion I'd make to you is to take a break for a few days or a week. You'll come back refreshed. A forum is what you make of it, and what you take from it. Skip the discussions that look as if they'll grate on you. Check out areas of the site you typically don't visit. If none of that seems to perk you up a bit, crank up the search engine or simply roll back the page count by a 100 pages and read some of the discussions from a year (or 4 years) ago and enjoy that for a stretch.

But really, nothing is better than taking some time away. You'll come back in a better mindset, and you might even catch the forum on an upswing.

I've only been here a few months myself, and find there is a lot of very useful information. Sure there have been more than a few closed threads, but for good reason. Over all, I think there are a lot of experienced people here, and presently it's the only firearms related forum I visit. There's a lot less flaming here than I've seen on other forums, and as the post above stated, the moderators do a good job at keeping that in check.

Back