Going price for 03 spring field?

the rifleer

What is a reasonable price to pay for a good to very good condition 03' springfield at a gun show? I don't have anywhere nearby that sells them. I'm guess about $600?

600 is a decent price. they are getting really expensive for the nicer ones but for 600 you should be able to pick up a decent condition WWII era 1903 a1 or a3 with most to all parts matching. I didn't do my research before I bought mine at a gunshow and ended up with a preWWI springfield with a remington bolt in it and it is considered unsafe to fire(although I fire it all the time) so the collectors value is lower.

if you ever plan to resell it do not get on with serial number lower than 800,000 if it's a springfield or lower than 200,000 if it's a rock island. remington and smith coronas are all safe to fire and all have higher collectors value. make sure to check all the parts to make sure they match. the barrel should have the armory's initials, the receiver is already laid out for you and the bolt has a letter stamped under the bolt handle, S for springfield, R for remington etc etc. I believe 1903A3s have a handguard ring at the front of the receiver that should also have a letter stamped and for non A3s the floor plate should be hinged while A3 and A4s should not. that's about all the information I can give on the subject and it's probably around 17% wrong here and there but overall it should be helpful on your search.

Thanks a lot, I just didn't want to drive two hours and find out they are all 1000 bucks. I'll do some more research, I want a nice one, like everyone does, but if its a little worn thats ok. I'll make sure I check the numbers, I've read that before but didn't know what the actual numbers were.

Most likely you will NOT find a decent '03 at a Gun show for around $600.00 unless its a mix-master or has serious issues... Or both. The dealers will all be trying to rape you, and unless you're going to a gunshow where Milsurp guns like '03's are common, you won't see many walk-ins either. I paid $750 for a Remington 03A3 that was perfectly matched and never rebuilt at a local gun shop but only because I saw it first and knew what it was. I've been offered $1200 for it since by a dealer but traded it to my brother for a couple Randall knives. He'll keep it forever. I tell you this because I went to a couple Gun shows after I bought it to see what was out there for sale. here in Central Florida at least, there's NOTHIN'!!! At least nothing decent that was affordable. I wish you luck but bring a little more money if you want a decent one. AND DO NOT GO WITHOUT SOME GOOD KNOWLEDGE UNDER YOUR BELT! There's a Milsurp forum out there with good information. Read and absorb a LOT before you spend your hard-earned money! FWIW...

Nice unmolested ones I have seen range around $700 to $1000. When searching the auction and other guns for sale sites, those less than $500 I have encountered have been sporterized:eek:.

Minimum of $750 here, including issues. $900 is more like it, but you could luck out. For $600 you can get a top-grade 1917 Enfield or a decent M1 Carbine.

The rule is, buy the best you can afford when you buy. You will be money ahead when you do, no matter what the grade you end up with. Be patient and picky.

The rule is, buy the best you can afford when you buy. You will be money ahead when you do, no matter what the grade you end up with. Be patient and picky.

Great advise!

Learn all you can online, Bruce Canfield's book would be a good investment. Knowledge allows you to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Back