Going back to factory ammo

shooterfpga

So, i dont have time to reload right now with a new baby. Im now switching back to factory ammo. Below is a list of what ive narrowed it down to based on cost and effectiveness. I will not use FGMM as its never available. I may use hsm again, unsure. If theres any not listed but falls within the pricing/effectiveness let me know.

My reloads are using hornady 178gr hpbt so it makes sense to use their factory rolled but i wont discount something better and since its factory ammo its hard to say.

Fiocchi exacta 175gr
Eagle eye 175gr
Hornady match 178gr
Hornady superformance 178gr
Freedom munitions 175gr/178gr

I can get hornady for $21/box and it has the best bc of the bunch.

Fiocchi i dont remember how well it shot but its about the same price.

Eagle eye is a new comer and everyone thats using it seems to like it but its also $30/box and reviews put it on par with fiocchi and fgmm as far as accuracy and sd/es.

Freedom munitions never had what i wanted in stock so ive never been able to test it in my rifles. But theyre about $16/box which is close to what ive paid for SSA/Nosler.

I will list specs just for common knowledge but i dont expect your results to mimic mine.

18" bull barrel 1/10 twist.

If you have any data please list as much information as possible.

Da
Alt
Temp
Length&twist
Fps

If you're not reloading, you'll have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. Cost of it makes no difference.
I'd start with the Hornady Match.
18" barrel is kind of an odd length for a target rifle. It a bolt action? Just curious.

If you're not reloading, you'll have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. Cost of it makes no difference.
I'd start with the Hornady Match.
18" barrel is kind of an odd length for a target rifle. It a bolt action? Just curious.
Yep its a bolt action and never had issues taking it out to 1000yds. They just increased my local ranges distance to 1250 so we will see. 18-20" at precision matches are on the rise especially in prs style matches.

Ive been using 6.5 creedmoor more often than not lately though but i still love to shoot some 308.

Just figured id ask and see which ones werent worth a try. Lot of classes require factory ammo too so i guess i have to try em either way.

I've had good luck with PRVI Partisan match ammo in .308. Not sure if they make any with 175-178gr bullets though.

Hornady ammo has never let me down either...

I've always been sub-MOA with Sierra Game Kings in my '06, so from what people say, the Match Kings should be righteous.

I've tried many loads and found 6 so far that do an honest 1" @ 100 yards in my SCAR 17.

American Eagle 7.62x51 168 OTM
American Eagle 308 150 BTHP
Speer Gold Dot LE 168 GDSP
Hornady 168 BTHP Match
Fusion 165
XM118LR (175 grain)

These I've found from either Palmetto State Armory, GT Distributing, or Lucky Gunner. None are bargain basement priced.

Norma 168 match. It out shoots Federal Gold match in my three tactical rifles I have tried both in. It actually out groups my best handload in one of the rifles. Price on it is all over the place.
I have not had any trouble finding Federal Gold Medal. I do not buy it anymore, but it eats up a bunch of shelf space at the gun shop I purchase from.

If federal american eagle 168 "M1A Match" shoots in your rifle, it's cheap and has acceptable extreme spread and accuracy in my rifles. BC's OK but not as good as SMKs or A-Maxes.

Whatever powder they use smells like someone let loose a wet one, but that's a separate issue :eek:

Back