Going Back To An EDC 1911

mk70ss

Decided to put my Shadow Systems 9mm back in the safe and go back to carrying a 1911 pistol. Going with this Girsan Officers size .45.

Turkish serial number standards.

The first part is the manufacturers id. For example Girsan is T6368 and Tisas is T0620.

After the dash is the two digit year and then an Alpha internal model designation and then the actual serial number.

I have the Rock Island Officers model 45. I carry it on my belt in a Yaqui slide. Bought it because I missed my old Star PD. It’s a great pistol, 1 inch group (just one ragged hole) at 7 yards with 230 grain hardball.

What the Dapper Detective would be wearing back in the 1960s.

Basic GI 1911 5" in a Roy's Original Pancake holster.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Roy-Baker-Pancake.jpg
    Roy-Baker-Pancake.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 706
I built this LW Commander in 1975 - the S/N is my initials and the year - and carried it for several years after I got my FL carry license.
Before that, I used it in pre-IPSC competition.

Commander Right Best.JPG

Carry what works for you. Nothing wrong with Shadow Systems except a metal 1911 is better to use as a bludgeon when you run out of ammo. LOL

Also, not wise to post pics of your guns with the full serial nunber showing.

mk70ss said:
Decided to put my Shadow Systems 9mm back in the safe and go back to carrying a 1911 pistol. Going with this Girsan Officers size .45.
Except for the grips, that's a very nice looking Officers ACP-size 1911. The grips look a bit thick for my taste, and they aren't as smoothly contoured as Colt and many aftermarket grips. I'll be looking forward to your first range report.

I've been carrying a Colt Officers ACP for several years. I wanted to have inconspicuous grips, so I replaced the factory Walnut grips with a set of Pearce rubber grips. They are the same thickness as factory at the screw holes, but they taper very slightly between the holes (sort of "wasp waisted"). They are very comfortable, and because they are black rubber they conceal well and shrug off the occasional bump or impact.

https://pearcegrip.com/Products/Colt/PG-OM2

I have no affiliation with Pearce Grips. I'm a happy repeat customer -- I have several sets on various 1911s.

Short 1911s have a bad rep for being jammos. :rolleyes:
My RIA compact has been 100% reliable from new out of the box. Same report from the many written and video reviews of it. I’m betting the Girsan is the same. Most of the jamming anecdotes are from the 70’s and 80’s and involved customized or custom built pistols and the officers models disappeared for 30 years because of that.
My Star PD was 100% flawless too. That’s why it was my back up/ hide away gun for over 10 years.

FWIW, many years ago on a visit to a Jeeping friend in another state I had an opportunity to shoot his Colt Officers ACP and I fell in love with it. He estimated that he had between 10,000 and 15,000 rounds through it and he said he had never encountered a malfunction.

At the time I couldn't afford what Officers ACPs were selling for, but I found a deal on the same pistol in a plain wrapper: the M1991A1 Compact. I bought it instantly, and I still have it. Looking at my shooting diary for that pistol, early on I had one malfunction -- a failure to feed the last round out of 7. The OACP was designed to use 6-round magazines, so the 7-rounders were a kludge and prone to failures anyway. I have since stayed with Colt or Check-Mate 6-round magazines and had no further problems.

Over the years, I have added another M1991A1 Compact that was a rescue (it had been heavily Bubba-fied, and I got it super cheap from an FFL friend who had taken it in without realizing how badly it had been mangled). I bought an entirely new (used) Colt top end and rebuilt it to factory configuration. Later, I added a Mark IV Officers ACP (the real thing), and then a Lightweight Officers ACP Enhanced. No problems with any of them.

I had a nice stainless Springfield V10 officers-size gun and had no problems or misfires over the years. I sold it after handling it and my Kimber Pro Carry II (Commander size)simultaneously and realized the Kimber was lighter with only a 1/2-inch longer barrel and I got to use full-size mags.

Years ago a friend needed money and so it goes. I ended up with this little Kimber and after shooting it I liked it. Never thought a 3" barrel .45 ACP could be accurate and it is. I also have yet to have a jam firing both 230 grain ball or my Hornady XTP 230 grain loads.

Kimber%201.png

I liked the gun so much I now have one all stainless and another two tone pro carry. Prior to this it was a full sized 1911 in the small of my back.

Ron

Probably my most comfortable modern holster for my full size 1911s is a Tegu Lizard Retention Strap OWB from Andrews Leather and my most comfortable modern IWB holster is my old Kramer Leather Thomas Perfectionist.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Both are great for even all day wear.

Attachments

• Andrews-Tegu-Lizard.jpg
    Andrews-Tegu-Lizard.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 395
  • Kramer-front.jpg
    Kramer-front.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 392
Back