Go to range and try the guns

chrisintexas

For newbies the advice usually is go to a range and try(shoot) different guns. But what should one look for when trying(shooting) the guns to find out which one/s is/are for them? Please explain.

The two main aspects that I think will narrow down what they are looking for initially are the purpose of the gun and their experience with handguns.

For purpose, is it a CCW or a nightstand gun or a range toy? Some guns are better suited to do different things. For example, I doubt many people will recommend a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm for a first gun to carry concealed, but a lot of people will recommend a Shield, G42, or LCP. So let the purpose narrow it down by size, capacity, and caliber.

Then when it comes to experience, once again I doubt many people will say shoot a 357 snub nose or 10mm as your first gun. They will usually recommend a 22lr or full size 9mm.

Other things such as their stature, hand size, preference on safeties, etc, will come into play, but the two main ones above will usually help narrow it down.

First, narrow down purpose (carry vs. home defense). Next caliber and capacity (small, medium, large). And budget (low, medium, high). And finally whether you want a semi-auto or revolver, and if semi-auto, whether you want steel vs. plastic, and external or integral, hammer vs. striker, etc..

Then, by asking advice on brands, makes and models given criteria, a newbie would have probably a handful of guns to go fondle and perhaps rent/shoot.

When looking at guns, manipulate the controls (can you reach the trigger in DA, can you operate the safety effectively, can you action the slide properly, etc.). How does it fit, balance, and point for you....? Too fat, to thin, etc? Do you like the trigger (always ask first if you can dry fire a weapon before you do)? Does it speak to you? Is it comfortable in the hand (keep in mind that you will add several oz of weight to the rear when it is loaded, so some polymer guns may feel front heavy but actually balance quite well when loaded).

How does it fit?
Does it feel too heavy or light?
Are you comfortable controlling the trigger?
Do you have to adjust your grip?
How do your groups look?
Are you having fun?

I think a lot depends on how much of a newbie you are. Last August I went to a local range with a friend. I had never touched a gun before. I was able to try everything from a .22 to a .45, a couple of revolvers and probably ten semi-automatics.

What mattered for me was primarily recoil. I couldn't (and still can't) envision myself practicing enough to become competent with anything unpleasant or uncomfortable to shoot. That eliminated the .45s and out of that lot all but one of the 9 mms (also eliminated the .380 Bodyguard).

I guess others would disagree since so many recommend people start with .22s, but I didn't feel comfortable with the .22 either. It seemed to me all too easy to let off a shot with it and I felt that would be dangerous with someone as new to shooting as I was.

So out of everything I tried there were only 2 I felt I could live with and would be willing to practice with. I bought a like model of one of those as my first semi.

I bought my 2d handgun from research only, and won't be doing that again. When I first got it, I all but had a heart attack because the trigger was so heavy I had to use both forefingers to pull it. A lighter spring remedied that without causing problems, but I won't buy anything I can't try first again. Needless to say that also taught me trigger makes a big difference in how happy I'm going to be with something.

Now that I have a little more experience, I find that weight makes a big difference to me too. Heavier means less recoil - good. Heavier also means harder to hold out and shoot for any length of time - not so good.

For most folks, the choice of guns will change with experience.
But unless that experience is based on decent training, it probably won't mean much.
Doing it all wrong, over and over, will definitely lead you down the wrong road when it comes to shooting and what to shoot.
Train and learn first, then think about which gun to choose.

- Study the basics - pistol operation (DAO, SAO, SA/DA, etc), How to properly hold a pistol.
- Purpose - for CC, HD only, Target/Plinking? Answer to this may narrow down the choices as far as size, caliber, and possibly operation (SA/DA, DAO, SAO).
- go to the range and rent some.
- find a pistol that fits you - good grip with good trigger reach and caliber that you can shoot.

But what should one look for when trying(shooting) the guns to find out which one/s is/are for them? Please explain.

1. How does it fit in your hand?
2. Can you reach the trigger easily with your finger?
3. Can you manage the recoil?
4. If it's a semi-auto, can you load the mag, rack the slide, work the controls - basically can you make the gun work easily? If it's a revolver, can you fire the gun using the double-action trigger (not cocking the hammer) comfortably.
5. Can you make your shots group nicely at 20 feet? 30 feet?

Perhaps I misunderstand the purpose of the post, but it seems to me that considerations of size and capacity come before renting prospective purchases.

When you are actually firing the handgun, you want to evaluate how the grip feels in your hand, whether the trigger can be comfortably reached by the pad of your index finger without shifting your grip, and whether other controls can be reached comfortably.

All of those can be evaluated with snap caps or dry firing, as well. When you fire, you want to be able to manage recoil well enough to get back on target quickly, and you want to be able to shoot several times without needing to adjust or reestablish your grip.

You have to define "quickly back on target" for yourself, based on your abilities - you will improve with time, but you want to have a reasonable starting point.

Shoot as many different models as you can in your price range. Separate them into two lists.

The first list is the "This is pretty nice" list.

The second list is the "Good gawd, I hate this" list.

Choose any from the "This is pretty nice" list and you have your gun.

Recommend you choose from the following makes for your first hand gun.

Smith and Wesson
Glock
Ruger
Springfield

"Shoot as many different models as you can in your price range. Separate them into two lists.

The first list is the "This is pretty nice" list.

The second list is the "Good gawd, I hate this" list.

Choose any from the "This is pretty nice" list and you have your gun.

Recommend you choose from the following makes for your first hand gun.

Smith and Wesson
Glock
Ruger
Springfield"

First you say to shoot as many different makes and models as possible and then you recommend which makes to purchase. What if none of those makes floats their boat? In handguns I own CZ(3), Browning(1), RIA(2), Colt Revolver's(2), Sig(1) and Stoeger(1).

I have nothing against the brands you mentioned and I now they make quality guns but none of them happen for me. Looks like you are telling the OP to buy what is best for you, not what is best for him.

Take a proper grip on the gun. Can you put the pad of your trigger finger on the trigger when the trigger is fully forward and pull the trigger all the way through the full trigger travel (in both DA & SA if applicable)?

Can you operate other controls as needed? It's often considered acceptable to have to modify your grip slightly to reach the magazine release, but the safety and slide lock should be within reach without having to modify your grip.

Can you see the sights clearly?

Do the sights line up fairly well when you take a proper shooting grip and bring the gun up to your line of sights? If they're a little off, that's no big deal, but if they're a long way off then you will have to alter your normal grip to get the gun on target and that can compromise accuracy, especially when time is short and stress is high.

Can you rack the slide properly without exerting heroic levels of effort?

Does your grip interfere with any of the controls?

Can you take a grip on the gun and shoot a string that meets your particular time and accuracy requirements without having to readjust/reacquire your grip?

Does the gun function properly?

I usually try to ask the proprietor some questions about which of their rental guns hold up best over time.

A big reason one should attempt to test fire a handgun before plunkin' down the cash, is because how they feel in your hand after you pull the trigger, can be a lot different than how well they feel in your hand at the LGS.

it's been my long practice that if you approach me nicely at the range, and inquire about what i'm shooting, i'll tell you what i know, and if you ask, i'll let you shoot a few.

This was a very helpful post for me. I am just getting into the hobby and my next question was going to be about making a first purchase. Luckily I as doing my homework and searching and this post was right on the first page (maybe it should be a sticky). I learned a lot about what I can expect in the process of making my first purchase.

I am still going to make my post but I am a bit more informed now.

If you're going to start with semi-autos...then stay with 9mm's / if you want to get into revolvers then stay with guns that will shoot .38 spl ( so go with guns chambered in .38 spl or .357 Mag ).

The heavier the gun ...the less felt recoil you're going to have.....and the effect of recoil is cumulative and tiring...so while most of us can shoot guns with heavy recoil...less recoil is usually better for effective accurate shooting.

Probably stay away from guns that feel nose heavy or too long...or that are too small and don't fit your hands.....

Can you dry fire the gun effectively ....can you reach all the controls without moving your grip ( reach mag release, decocker, etc)...or is the trigger pull and reset too long and uncomfortable ..
----------
From they're its about grip angle, controls, weight, etc.....

Fine tune your list of guns - take a notebook and a pencil with you into firing range...and make notes in it for each model you shoot.../ most ranges I've been to that rent guns - will only let you rent one at a time...so you can't fire them side by side ( you need notes ! )...

a. does it come up level for you when you bring it up
b. how does trigger feel in firing and reset, slack or creep in trigger
c. how does gun feel, if you rapid fire 3 rounds - does it get away from you..

The list will evolve ....and fire some guns that are priced out of where your budget is ...so you can evaluate guns within the price range you want to stay in. It'll tell you, in your mind, does spending more money make any sense ---maybe it does, maybe not.
--------
When you get that list of guns down to 2 or 3....talk to range masters about durability, issues they see on the rental guns, even ask if they would look at the gun and maybe clean it up, if it feels real sluggish...( it may get rented all the time -- and have 1,000 rds thru it when you picked it up ---and hadn't been cleaned)...and they'll know just by the feel.

Talk to other guys at the range....that might be firing a gun you think you're interested in ...would they buy it again, do they like it, how many rounds do they have thru it...they may offer to let you fire their gun a little...use their experience to help you evaluate your options / ask them what they like or don't like about the 2 or 3 guns you've selected.

Good post . . . . I think there is something else though that needs to be addressed as well . . .

For a "newbie" . . . . especially if they are asking the OP's question (and this is not meant to be critical at all) . . . . perhaps the "very first step" is to tai a handgun safety course so that they can not only learn the proper safety, but be instructed in the types of handguns there are - i.e. revolver versus semi, calibers, sizes, intended purposes, etc. That will be an even greater help when going to the range to "try out" handguns as they will have a better understanding as to what their perspective is in regards to their needs.

I have taken many classes over the years - of course some better than others - but in many of them, these things are covered. It allows the student to ask questions, get clear answers, see examples, etc. so that they have a "basic knowledge" of what is available. Then they can go to a range and perhaps have their thoughts narrowed down on what is going to fit their needs - i.e. are they target shooters, CCW purposes, HD - do they want to try a revolver, a semi, etc.

A lot of the ranges rent handguns, some sell them. It doesn't mean you have to buy them from the range but there should be knowledgeable people there that can further answer questions and stress all of what has been discussed here. For many "newbies" - price is going to be a factor as well.

It's not a whole lot different than buying a car and doing your research. A car has to "fit" the person, it has to meet their needs and it has to be in their price range. And a "newbie" also has to realize that they may not find the "perfect" fit the first time around . . but over time, they will shoot their pistol and discover other factors they hadn't considered the first time. Lt's face it . . . . a lot of us who have been shooting for years are not shooting our "first guns".

Back