Glossy Blue Scope Rings for Ruger American Rimfire?

BluRidgDav

I bought my daughter a Ruger American Rimfire Compact, which comes with a glossy blue finish, and then added a Leupold VX-1 Rimfire 2-7x28mm scope, which is also glossy blue. I'd like to match the rings to the glossy finish of the rifle & scope. But, the 3/8" dovetail that's integral to the top of the Ruger receiver is "humped" while almost all of the 3/8" rimfire rings that I look at, seem to be made for "flat topped" dovetail receivers?

The only 3/8" rimfire scope rings that I've been able to find that fit (so far) are Leupold Rifleman rimfire rings that are matte black. Leupold shows glossy Rifleman rings in their catalog, but, I can't find any. I also tried the nicer Leupold RF rings, but, the "hump" got in the way.

What are all of you other Ruger American Rimfire owners using for scope rings?

Thanx, Dave.

PS - My 2-7x28mm scope does not have a large objective bell, so, I want to get "low" rings. And I'd rather avoid mounting separate bases using the tapped receiver screw-holes, and then adding rings on top of those bases, for the same "low" height reason.

Last edited:
"PS - My 2-7x28mm scope does not have a large objective bell, so, I want to get "low" rings. And I'd rather avoid mounting separate bases using the tapped receiver screw-holes, and then adding rings on top of those bases, for the same "low" height reason."

Just a heads up: it's NOT the objective size that will cause you to need higher rings. The eyepiece will interfere with the bolt travel long before the objective contacts the barrel.
How do I know this? I just mounted a Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 on a RAR 17HMR using Weaver #11 bases and a set of low rings. That was a NO-GO. Finally used a set of rings a full 1/4" higher in order to achieve bolt clearance.

The Ruger recommendation and my own preference is to mount a pair of weaver no12 bases. They are neat little bases. With that you have several good options. Burris makes a deep blue cross slot ring. I guess Leupold has a blue ring, I forget the initials they use. It might have an odd shape to fool with. Well, bottom line, once you install the proper base, scope mounting option abound.

I did a quick look. The Leupold PWR is only 0.250 high that probably makes for 0.35 on the weaver base. BUT, that height is matt only. The medium is available in gloss which is higher. EDIT: Based on MoBucks experience the medium maybe good for you.

The other option might be Talley. They are top of the line. Pricey too. They make rings specific for each model rifle that they support. NO, Talley only does the 10/22 in ruger rimfire.

Last edited:
Thanx Guys.

I found a pair of glossy Leupold Rifleman rings at Brownell's. They're the same as I already have, except glossy to match the rifle & scope. They are also the same "medium" height as my matte ones, which will have to do, I guess. "Low" rings would have worked, but, Leupold doesn't offer them in this line of rings.

Mo,
Your caution about the eyepiece being a limitation isn't a problem on my set-up, since the rimfire sized bolt & handle doesn't open very far to the rear, and the Leupold's eyepiece is really slender. I have had Vortex scopes with LARGE eyepieces, where it would have caused a problem. I've also had clearance issues with other Leupold eyepieces on centerfire rifles, because the bolt & handle travel much further to the rear.

Thanx agin, Dave.

Back