Glocks.

mineralman

Ok, here's a question from a complete glock novice. I keep hearing about the "weird trigger" and the "safe action" or something to that effect. In the absence of an actual plastic fantastic, I'm not sure what is meant by those. I'd like to shoot/tear down one, just for curiosity, but no where to rent around here. So, what actually is the wierd trigger? i've seen pictures, but it looks like a safety system of some kind. Also, what is the result? is it like a DA/SA, or more of a clip fed revolver? Like I said, a complete Glock novice.

The "Safe Action" is the inner trigger, unless it is depressed it's not suppost to fire. I personally like the Glocks but I don't put much faith in the "Safe Action" trigger. (Like with all guns keep your finger off the trigger unless you plan to desroy what's in front of it, Keep away from children or inexperance adults.)Like you didn't know this just couldn't stop myself...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mineralman:
Ok, here's a question from a complete glock novice. I keep hearing about the "weird trigger" and the "safe action" or something to that effect. In the absence of an actual plastic fantastic, I'm not sure what is meant by those. I'd like to shoot/tear down one, just for curiosity, but no where to rent around here. So, what actually is the wierd trigger? i've seen pictures, but it looks like a safety system of some kind. Also, what is the result? is it like a DA/SA, or more of a clip fed revolver? Like I said, a complete Glock novice.[/quote]

[This message has been edited by lawabiding00 (edited January 09, 2000).]

mineralman,

Glocks are fine, reliable and durable pistols but I would strongly suggest that you fire one before buyining. If no one reange rents them in your try try to find a buddy that owns one or even take an extended drive to a range that does rent them. The stock trigger (3.5 lbs) has a spongey feeling that's not to everyone's liking nor does it promote accuracy for many. You'll often hear of new Glock shooters shooting low and to the right (or vice versa depending on strong hand) and read of how it takes hundreds of rounds to become proficient. I learned the expensive way that the trigger isn't for me. I do much better with DA/SA autos. Of course your mileage will vary.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

I've owned a Glock for several years now and like it very, very much. Still, I am not sure of what the lever on the face of the trigger is supposed to do. Is it supposed to work like this? The gun is dropped on its butt. The gun stops instantly but the momentum of the trigger causes it to move backwards - to keep going. The trigger moves as a whole meaning the trigger and the lever on its face together. This stops trigger movement without generating an AD. To fire the weapon the lever on the face needs to be depressed first, then the trigger. Is that really the way it is supposed to work? If I glued the lever in its depressed position and dropped my Glock on its butt, would it actually discharge or is this more a theoretical concern than a real one? What about other guns with light triggers and no lever on the trigger face (Heritage Stealth, Steyr M-series)? If their manual safeties were disengaged and they were dropped butt down could they fire? How about a Browning HP (no grip safety unlike the 1911)? Is there a web resource out there that can explain all the various different kinds of safeties to me? Thanks for any help. Oh, by the way, the standard trigger pull is 5.5 lbs, not 3.5 lbs. The lighter pull requires a different connector - meant for competition not personal protection. Glockdoc/Frank

In part, the "trigger safety" is part of a system created by a European requirement that the pistol be totally inert until an intentional trigger pull causes it to fire. With the Glock there are three safety features that sequentially dis-engage as the trigger is pulled. When the trigger is released the safety features re-engage. While it may seem simplistic to expect the lever on the trigger to function as a safety, it does insure that intentional finger pulls are required to fire the gun.

Kilroy...
...was here

Tec: Actually the factory connector in all Glocks excluding the 17L,24,34,35also known as the target and tactical models is a 5lb, but is more like a 5.5lb connector. A 3.5 lb connector would not be acceptable for duty usage. I have fired a friends modified pistol w/ this option, and it is light. Some Departments thought that the 5lb wasn't enough, which led to the NY(8lb) and NY+(12lb) triggers.

Be Safe
Mike

The "safe-action" is the cool name that Glock applies to the type of gun they say the Glock is.

It is not a traditional double action, where the trigger pull cocks the weapon every time.

It is also not a true Double Action/Single Action where the weapon must be manually un-cocked after the first shot to get back to the DA mode.

Everytime you let the Glock trigger go all the way forward you are back to double action, but if you hold the trigger back to the "set-point" during cycling, you have a single action type trigger pull.

The "Trigger Safety" is what Glock calls the little "Trigger within the Trigger".

One,

Thanks for catching my typo. You're correct, standard trigger weight is 5.5 lbs.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Word for word per Glock Armorer's Manual......The GLOCK "Safe Action" Trigger System offers three special advantages over conventional double action pistols. The triger is the one and only operative control of the gun. GLOCK handguns do not need external levers to render them hot or cold. they are never fully cocked until the trigger is pulled completely to the rear. Every GLOCK has three automatic safeties, and they work sequentully off the trigger. The first safety is built into the trigger itself. If the trigger is pulled and the safety disengaged, the firing pin block safety is still working. IF the trigger is pulled far enough to disengage the firing pin safety, the drop safety continues to be engaged until the trigger is pulled fully to the rear. Once the trigger is realeased, each safety is back in operation. GLOCK pistols combine the safety and simplicity of revolver-like operation with a constant double action trigger pull, high magazine capacity, rapid recovery and the reduced recoil of a modern semiautomatic pistol.

Originally posted by glockdoc:
...What about other guns with light triggers and no lever on the trigger face (Heritage Stealth, Steyr M-series)?...

Steyr M-series has the exact same "lever" on its trigger or, as Steyr Mannlicher calls it, the trigger safety. The pistol simply has a real manual safety as well -- you can opt not to engage it though. The trigger pull is consistent, like with Glocks, but is a bit lighter -- 4.8 lbs.

[This message has been edited by Emin (edited January 09, 2000).]

Thanks, Fire... notice the part that seems to confuse everyone is:

"...combine the safety and simplicity of revolver-like operation with a constant double action trigger pull, high magazine capacity, rapid recovery and the reduced recoil of a modern semiautomatic pistol."

Note that it is a combination of a DA revolver-like trigger and a modern DA/SA semiauto.. It is not exactly either one.

I love the trigger on my stock Glock G19. I also believe you cannot beat the single action of a 1911 patern handgun.Do yourself a favor, find a glock and shoot it. I did and the glock is for me ,when it comes to carry use. It may not be for you,only you can make that call.

Back