Glock26/Fed.Personal Defense Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattfra

Anyone have comments on Federal's Personal Defense Ammo (135gr Hydra Shok Bullet) in a Glock 26. Ballisitically (is that a word?) it's not the fastest round out there. Federal claims 1050fps/330ft/lbs from a 4 inch barrel. I figure (guess) out of my 3.5 inch barrel would be about 975fps/285ft/lbs. Is this a dumb carry round for my G26?

You should give Triton ammo a try they are very good with short barrels. I get about 1257fps from my G17 and 1220 with my G26 with there HI-VEL 125+P @1250fps

------------------
G17 THE BEST THERE IS.THE BEST THERE WAS,THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!

[This message has been edited by GLOCKLOVER (edited August 11, 1999).]

I don't think it's a dumb round. The Hydro-shok has a good record of expanding and should do pretty nicely. Personally, I prefer the Cor-Bon +Ps and generally load up the 125gr CBon+Ps in my 26. However, since my local police use the Federal PD's it may be better for liability reasons alone. JLee

FWIW, when Federal PD Hydra-Shoks were first introduced, Federal told one of the gun magazines that their 9mm PD cartridge had been designed specifically around the Glock 26.

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited August 11, 1999).]

The Federal 135gr PD HydraShok essentially turns your G26 into a .38 Special. I recommend you consider a 124gr +P Golden Saber or Gold Dot. I believe a 135gr JHP has great potential as a general purpose bullet that could be used in both duty size and compact carry handguns because it has almost the same sectional density (.148) as a .40 caliber 165gr JHP (.147). (Likewise I believe the same for a .45 ACP 210gr JHP.) But the 9mm PD HydraShok is a disappointment, in my opinion.

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

The PDA was designed to expand from short barrels at lower velocities with low recoil from small pistols.

Actually, it expands better than some lighter, much faster stuff. Usually 9-14 inches of penetration and up to .72 caliber expansion in tests done by Charles E. Petty and Dick Metcalf (bare and clothed gelatin).

Expanded more than the 357 Mag and +P 9s in Metcalf's test!

How good the tests were is another question? :)

------------------
>>>>---->

[This message has been edited by BrokenArrow (edited August 12, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back