Glock Slide Hold Open - Bad Mag?

slickpuppy

Hello,
At the range today I was shooting with all of the 17 round mags to insure functionality, and with one of them the slide failed to stay open after shooting the last round. The others did not have a problem. So question to the Glock studs and studettes out there - did I screw up the mag somehow? Any advice would be appreciated.

Make sure your Glock is cleared, field strip, and insert your empty magazine back into the receiver. Note where the magazine follower and the slide stop lever meet. Check to see if the follower is coming up all the way. Does it look different(damaged) than your other mags. Is the spring tension the same. Does the slide stop lever spring snap back when pushed and released. Your problem should lie somewhere close.

Your problem most likely lies with the mag spring...
Make the call to wolff and get a replacement...
I recommend that all new mags get new springs, or used that don't have a definite pedigree...
paull

Agree, nine times out of ten, it turns out to be the mag.

"Keep 'em in the ten ring"...

Merry Christmas!
Cowboy

What kind of Mags???

------------------
Go get me my gun, it's the one that says "Bad MOTHERF****R"

Tec9,
They are NFML mags in a Glock 17. Thanks for the help. I just purchased several rebuild kits for the mags and thought they might be good insurance to keep on hand. They have the Wolff 10% springs and new followers. From the sounds of the advice here it was wise to do so. I wanted to keep them in the shrink wrap but what the heck.

Update!
I followed your advice fire512 and checked out the slide release to mag follower fit on the Glock and it seemed to be a bit sluggish. I disassembled the mag and brushed out the mag body. Then I cleaned around where the follower and mag spring fit together and applied very light lubrication (molyslide). Reassembled and it is functioning fine. Thanks for all the help. I have been using this mag the most out of all of them so I guess there was just a bit of dirt buildup out of sight in there. If the problem resurfaces I will definitely install the rebuild kit. But, I have not had any ftf problems with it and that, to me, is the most important thing of all. If I can't hit it with 17 rounds I'm in deep kaka anyways.

Well based on pure empirical evidence I'd say 8/10 it's a bad mag, 1/10 it's the pistol and another 1/10 is operator error. If you use a high thumb grip you can accidentally press down the slide lock lever. This is especially pronounced in pistols with extended levers.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

FWIW, the problems I've had with Glock slide stops have all been due to weak mag springs. I sent the mags to Glock and they replaced the springs at no charge.

good to have it work out.

------------------
Go get me my gun, it's the one that says "Bad MOTHERF****R"

Back