Glock Scratches

Pigboy

Inactive
I purchased a Glock 22 from a shooting range that used it as a range gun. One of the demos they did was to scratch the tenifer coating with scissors to show how hard the coating is ( dumb I know, but I didn't do it). Believe it or not , the finish came through pretty good, but there is still some marks in the steel. I do not know if it is just the mild carbon steel of the scissors left on the coating or if the coating has been worn off. In theory, the finish should have held out( coating is supposedly about 67 on the Med Rockwell, mild steel from scissors is much softer).

I've tried everything I can think of (Sweet's solvent, oil trying to rub it
out) aside from some more aggresive methods that I'm afraid might make it worse.

If anybody has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks , Glenn

[This message has been edited by Pigboy (edited September 08, 1999).]

I think you're stuck with the scratches unless you have the slide refinished.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

One possibility. Try brass wool (for pot cleaning) from your grocery store, or fine steel wool. Either might clean off the marks without touching the original finish. Try the brass first.

BTW, good scissors are pretty hard, up in the 60s Rockwell. That finish may be really scratched.

Jim

Can't believe no one has said to try some FLITZ !
Fixes nappy rash, Herpes, the common cold & scratches on guns ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/

[This message has been edited by HS (edited September 10, 1999).]

You can use Scotch Brite scouring pads to polish S/S guns... mebbe it'll take the marks off tennifer...

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

None of the above suggestions will damage the tenifer finish, but some of them WILL knock the blacking right off of the slide.
Try burnt steel wool.
Just get a wad of Steel wool, touch a lit match to it, and let it smoulder until it is all burnt.
DO NOT blow on it, as it will disappear if it gets too hot! LOL!
Then take the burnt steel wool and scrub as hard as you like, you won't damage the finish, but it might polish the scratches out of it.
If this doesn't work,
send it back to the factory for refinishing, it'll come back looking like brand new!

------------------
Your mind is your primary weapon.
USE IT!

Back