glock questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.white

Inactive
I wanted to know why the rifling on the the glock 45cal. is octogonal instead of hexagonol?? I also read some where that the 45cal. is more accurate than the other calibers are. Is there any truth in that??? Lastly I was wondering who handloads there glocks and what was there experiences??

------------------

From what I understand, the 45 barrel is ocagonal because the bore is to large to be rifled in the hexagonal profile. As for it being more accurate, I have heard that too, but I find my 40cal Glock 23 to be plenty accurate, consistantly grouping under two inches at 25 yard if I do my part. My reloading exeriance has been to avoid the cast bullets. The glock barrel leads up very quickly. I use the plated bullets with good general purpose results. If you want to go for accuracy with the stock barrell, use conventional jacketed bullets.

I think the accuracy thing depends on the shooter. I shoot the G30 fine, the G23 only adequately, but I shoot the 17 best. Sorry, I don't reload, but my understanding is also that the Glock polygonal barrels will lead up quickly.

I've handloaded and fired around 20,000 rounds through my G21's, and prefer shooting the G21 to any other handgun that I own or have owned.

I only load plated or jacketed bullets, so haven't had any leading problems. I've also shot three or four thousand rounds of .400 Cor-Bon through my compensated Accu-Match barrel setup on my G21. I'm primarily shooting the .400 now, and rarely use the .45 barrel.

The octagonal rifling probably has more to do with stabilizing heavier bullets than anything else. For whatever reason they chose, however, I can testify that it works!

Hey Roscoe, I think it was from the bullet pushing back in the case. No canalure on it. Correct me if I'm wrong, Walter.

Darknight

------------------
G21, the only one.
1911 A1 another one.
AR15 the long one.

You're right: No overcharged load. Problem was really mag related. .400 Cor-Bon won't feed in my double-stack hi-caps. Round jammed on feed ramp, pushing bullet back into case. I REALLY shouldn't have fired that round.

BTW, I'm still shooting mostly .400 Cor-Bon, and loving every second of it.

I do find, in my guns anyway, the .45 Glocks seem to be more accurate than other calibers. My G30 is definately more accurate than my G17. The 25 yard groups fired over sandbags prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back