Glock questions; want your feedback

kdmoore

Looking to buy my first pistol,and I want a Glock. Don't ever plan to carry this gun, or see myself likely to need it in self-defense. I shoot for pleasure, and might eventually enter some stock class amature competition.

Like the idea of the 40 with a 357 barrel or vice versa.
Torn between a used offer, vs getting a new one and adding on what I need. The used package has alot of mod's and I don't know if I would benefit from them all. I'm tryin to decide if it's a good deal for me (are these things that save me money because I would eventually do them anyway)

A.Gun has a .40 and a .357 barrel. Big plus
B.Gun has a 3.5 disconnector. I don't even know if I hate the factory trigger yet.
C.Gun has "fixed" sights. Do I understand that you can still move these a bit. I'd want to adjust mine one time and leave them forever.
D.Trijacon night sights - Since I don't plan on ever shooting in the dark, do these make much difference in full light?
E.High cap mag's - What can I say, I just want them! (could it be just because big gov't says I cant.....)
F.Gun's not compensated. Some time ago, I shot a 22C and was surprised how well it works. This gun lack's it and aftermarket porting sure seems expensive.

Also, my hands are small, and I may want to consider a grip reduction. Be interested on the before/after stories from those who have tried it.

Much thanks in advance

You didnt say how much the Glock cost or the model. I bought my 23 used even though I generally advice newbies to get a new gun to avoid hassles. Your used gun doesnt sound bad, but you gotta sk why is the owner sellin it? As far as hicaps go, they are out there and they are expensive. There are mags for sale at GlockTalk (where I found out about TFL) but they are expensive.

You might want to forego the porting. You mentioned competition and in some of the more fun leagues (IDPA) having a compensated bbl limits your options as far as the class you compete in. While ports can improve shot-to-shot times in rapid fire, I've always seen them as a hardware solution to a training problem. (IMHO)

follow up

Good points. I'm comfortable with the cost vs risk of buying used. And I'm ok with his reason for selling (moving all to model 36)

Other than the items that I asked questions about (B,C,D), it is close to a wash in my mind. So if the trijacon sights ($90) are useful to a non night-time shooter,if I can adjust the "fixed sights", and if the trigger mod ($?) will make a large difference then it makes the deal a "can't pass up" in my quest to save a few bucks.

Otherwise I may start with a 22C and add the goodies that I need one at a time.

Why bother starting on a modified firearm?

I bought a G23 last May and since then everytime I go to the range is to be better with what I have instead of pampering myself with fancy-shmancy extras. Just last week I managed to, for the first time, pull 5 rapid shots and keep them all within a 1.5 inch diameter circle from 7 yds away.
Now I know that doesn't seem all that good to some of the people here but it's something to be proud of when you take something factory and do good with it instead of relying on gadgets. Honestly, who would you be more impressed with? The guy who can outrace everyone in a Ferrari or the guy who comes in second with a Hyundai?

Besides... maybe you'll like some of the factory non-tweaked features.

Just my humble point of view.

RE Grip Reduction

I had the grip reduced on my G-23 about 2 years ago. I love it. Big improvement for me. It gives better pointing characteristics and a better more comfortable grip.

Arizona Response Systems did my reduction. They did an excellent job with a quick turn time. I highly recommend thier services.

A word of serious caution here. Make sure that any .40 cal Glock you consider is of recent enough production to safely handle the .357 sig round. The rails on the early models were fine for .40 but lacked the reinforcement necessary for the .357 sig. http://www.glockmeister.com has a serial number list that you can check to see if the used one you're considering has the additional reinforcement. If it's recent enough to have finger grooves and rails it's fine for the .357 barrel. Another option that I prefer is to buy a 31 or 32 and add a .40 barrel. This eliminates a problem that some people have experienced with the .40 factory barrel.

I tend to agree with CSO on the rest. Practice with the stock pistol until you're very comfortable with it and then add things that actually improve your shooting. This way, if you make a change and you don't shoot any better, you can change back. Most large gun shows have a Glock armorer who will change parts on the spot for you for little more than the cost of the part. I was looking at Meprolite night sights last weekend for $70 installed. Go to http://www.brownells.com and pick up Federal drop in barrels for $69. (Sign up with them and when asked if you are in a firearm related business, the answer is YES. Nice discounts) Can't tell you much about comped guns except that recoil that bothers you now will hardly be noticed after you've been shooting a while.

And, like everyone advises...take the money you would use for add ons and spend it on ammunition and range fees. Have fun.

My "Glock Experience" (in terms of personal purchase) has been a 22C. I rented/test-fired a model 30 and found it to be a pleasant shooter. My wife bought a new model 30 after trying-out the rental.

My 22C came "stock" (bought it used),with the exception of having a Hogue wrap grip. I found it to be fairly accurate, but I also have small hands and am currently considering either having a grip reduction done, or selling or trading the gun. I do not shoot competitively, so can't offer any pointers on that subject. I can say that the porting on the 22C (at an indoor range) has NEVER resulted in obscured vision from flame or smoke coming out the ports. Have fired both Zero brand reloads and Federal Hydrashock and Remington Gold Sabres -- no problems.

The gun I bought came equpped with Trijicon night sights. No problems there. I don't shoot this gun as accurately as my 9mm BHP (no night sights) but the grips on the BHP fit my smallish hand better. Almost every Glock I have shot results with me getting a bruised thumb knuckle. I have been told to vary my grip - problem is my fingers are barely long enough to wrap around the standard Glock grip.

The Hi-cap magazines are nice, but overpriced, in my opinion. Paid $80 for one at a gun show, but I figure if I need more than 10 rounds. I'm definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time. Improving my sprinting/running speed or using a good pump action 12 gauge may be of more value than the extra five rounds... If someone is more than 20 feet or so away from me, they're probably going to be shot in the back as they run away. Should I shoot, then I'll have to defend some ludicrous lawsuit if I hit them. Can't exactly claim fear of imminent bodily harm when the BG is leaving.

I have had a 3.5 lb trigger connector installed by a Glock Arnorer at a local gun show for $35. I consider it money well spent, and my accuracy has improved since having it installed. There still is some "take up" to the trigger, and I like that.

I guess my main problem is with the grip size. That can be overcome with practice, practice, more practice, ad nauseam. It can be further improved by using a decent gun that fits my hands better.

The Glock is a good gun and easy to clean, etc. I am using mine as a household defense weapon. Am satisfied with 40 caliber. Have no thoughts on 357 auto conversion. If I want a 357 auto, I will buy a gun engineered for the round from the outset.

Hope this is of some help. I wrote to neither glorify nor trash Glocks. They are what they are, and you could do a hell of a lot worse in buying a new handgun.

As mentioned earlier, if was a .357 model with the .40 barrel, the used model sounds like a good deal. If it is a .40 caliber model, it isn't worth the chance (unless the model is newer model). It sounds to me like the used setup is a good deal if the cost is comperable to a nib without the goodies and the pistol is in good shape. The rear sight is driftable for azimuth. I know of no glock with true "fixed" sights as the term is traditionally applied. You did not mention the model in the post so some of your questions are harder to answer then others.

Get your hands on a Glock 23. They feel great and shoot great too. I have night sights on mine and they really are handy in low light conditions.

I spend many nights each year in hotel rooms and the night sights really show up in a pitch dark room. There is nothing wrong with the ported barrels but I do not care for them due to increased muzzle flash in low light situations and because they are louder IMHO.

Back