Glock or Kahr for IWB comfort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJT

Inactive
Hey,

I have had my Glock 27 for over 3 years now and I still really like this gun.Problem is,I just got my CCW permit and when I wear the G-27 IWB it feels thick and "bulky".This is not a problem if I'm wearing a jacket or secondary shirt because then I just use a Glock Sport/Combat holster.

I have been looking at the Kahr MK-9 and it seems to be a cool little gun.My Question is,Would a Kahr MK-9 be more suited to wear IWB? Would it be significantly more comfortable than the G-27? Let me know what you think and even maybe some other guns I should check out.

Thanks,

Bobby

The Kahr is definitly more suited to IWB carry.

The Kahr 9mms are only .94 inches thick. I'm not sure how thick the .40's are, but they are slimmer than the Glocks.

I've attempted to carry my G-23 IWB many times, only to go back to carrying my K9 IWB.
Sometimes I forget it's there. Almost got me in some deep do do at the airport...

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Funny you should mention this. I am starting to stock up on the YCS holsters from Mark at M/D Enterprises and just put a dial caliper to a bunch of pistols last night. The Kahr is .940 inches thick across the slide, and a Glock 27 is 1.005 inches across. If anyone is interested a 9mm Browning HP is only .885 inches.

Kahr K40 = .94"
Kahr K9 = .90"
Glock G27 = 1.18"
Glock G30 = 1.30"
1911's = 1.30"
Keltec P11 = 1.0"
Keltec P32 = .75"
J-frame revolvers = 1.30"

My K40 IWB , not comfortable "too heavy".

I like holster-less carry.

I put a Glock carry clip on the right side of a "G22" it disappeared! Fantastic!

1. www.clipdraw.com for j-frames & 1911's.

2. Alchemy Arms Glock carry clip from www.brownells.com for Glocks.

3. Keltec carry clip only for Keltecs!

4. Barami hip grip for revolvers.

Depends on what trade offs you want. I have carried both the Glock26 and Kahr K40.

Glock26/27 is wide and prints easier but is light and comfortable.

Kahr is thin and totally disappears but feels like you have a brick tied to your belt.

I traded in the Glock for the Kahr because it fit my hand better, but still second guess doing that because of the extra 7oz. the Kahr has. The MK series are not much lighter. Luckily, I work out of my apartment all day and only carry when taking my dog out for short walks or similar short trips out. There were times in the past that I used to carry all day and the Glock never got too heavy.

DWM :)

[This message has been edited by DWM (edited October 19, 1999).]

Those are the measurements I get on the Kahrs but I measured the Glocks across the slide. Those are the measurements across the grips, specifically on the Glock 30 where the thumbrest bulges are.

Yep- I agree the 26/27 are a touch fat.
The Kahr is a touch heavy. Waiting for
the Polymer Kahr to show up.

As far the J frames - pocket gun for me.

bye

Glenn

I don't understand why everyone whines about the weight of the Kahrs. Unloaded, the MK9 is only 2.35 ounces heavier than the Glock 26. Fully loaded, the Glock is probably the same or a bit heavier, since it holds 10+1 compared to the Kahr's 6+1. I usually carry a Glock 30, but when I want more concealment, the MK9 in a clip-on IWB practically disappears and the weight is no problem at all.

I agree with craigz.

I know guys who claim to carry a full sized 1911 w/2 reloads complain that the Kahrs are heavy. What's up with that?

I've found that IWB, the weight of the Kahr is hardly noticable.

Just my observations.

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Last year I traded my Glock 30 for a Kahr MK9 for exactly the reasons you asked. The Glock was just too thick for IWB under a light shirt (tee or polo). Under a jacket is no problem--but I live in Phoenix so I wear a jacket well...not much.

Is there anyone out there who has a Kahr MK40? I am thinking of buying one and have read nothing but positive things about the Kahr's...mostly 9mm's though.

Oh, by the way, when you compare (with 150 gr bullets) a fully loaded Kahr MK40 (6 rounds) to a fully loaded Glock 27 (10 rounds), the Kahr weighs only 1.09 oz. more than the Glock.
IMO, that is not even an issue.

------------------

I have a Kahr K40 Covert. That is the one with the short grip, but the normal length slide and barrel. I had an MK9 that I bought to replace my PPK as an ankle gun and liked in so much that I bought the Covert. The longer barrel is not hard to conceal with hip carry and the shorter grip does aid in concealment. I have always like this combination and have had some sort of 'Officers frame with Commander slide' pistol since 1984, so the Covert was a natural. It is much more pleasant to shoot than the MK40.

I have to agree with Craigz and Dan. I carry my K9 daily in a Milt Sparks SS-2 IWB holster and not only is it very concealable, I don't have a bit of trouble with the weight. My 1991A1 Compact weighs a good 10 ozs. more than the Kahr (both unloaded).

I'm not saying that the Glock isn't concealable, but it isn't as concealable as the K9.

RJT: If you're going to carry IWB, why not get a Kahr K9 (full size) instead of an MK9? The bit of extra barrel length would help "anchor" the pistol and make it more shootable at a very minor cost in concealability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back