Glock Gen4 barrels

simonrichter

do the Gen4 Glocks still utilize a polygonal rifling? I think I've read somewhere that they have changed to a more conventional rifling lately, but I couldn't find any actual confirmation...

The gen 5 barrels are a polygonal/conventional hybrid. They are also more accurate. My gen 5 19 shoots much smaller groups than my gen 4 19 ever did.

Jim

Attachments

• gen 5.jpg
    gen 5.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Im very suspicious about the origin of Gen 5 barrels, there was no reason to change it and the finish starts wearing after the first box of ammo? they seem to be using a sub standard finish, the Gen 3 / Gen 4 takes 1000's of rds to wear the finish on the barrels

I think they contracted with a outside source possibly US to make the Gen 5 barrels to save on costs

Im very suspicious about the origin of Gen 5 barrels, there was no reason to change it and the finish starts wearing after the first box of ammo? they seem to be using a sub standard finish, the Gen 3 / Gen 4 takes 1000's of rds to wear the finish on the barrels

That's a function of the finish type more than the quality of the barrels. Some finishes wear differently than others. As someone that has had idk how many Glocks now, from Gen 3, to Gen 4, and now Gen 5 I can state that yes the older barrels did in fact wear. The older barrels have almost a bluing like finish that did wear. Gen 4 was a slightly different finish that would also wear. Gen 5 has what appears to be a more widespread wear pattern, but as best as I can tell the actual corrosion resistance of the barrel itself is better. Some chemical treatments actually permeate the metal itself and provide protection even when the exterior appears to be "worn". This is true of a number of manufacturers.

Glocks that are made entirely in the US are marked as such.

In all the Glocks I've owned, none have shot as well as my Gen 5s. That was with me doing back to back comparisons with a Gen 3 that was from the "glory days" of Glocks (frying pan like finish, no MIM parts, etc). Even my Gen 3 with KKM barrel never produced as nice groupings.

y'all talking about Gen5 now - I'm still not clear about whether Gen4 has polygonal or conventional rifling...

Post #3 seems pretty clear to me, and to my knowledge he’s right. You can also see this in the video linked by sigarms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they contracted with a outside source possibly US to make the Gen 5 barrels to save on costs
There are 2 reasons I can think of. As listed in the video in post #7, the FBI wanted lands and grooves so bullets could be more easily linked to a firearms. The other reason is probably use with lead bullets or possibly some of the new polymer coated ones. Polygonal rifling can have problems biting on lead bullets. I remember reading an article where a police agency had bullets tumbling at 7yds and out trying to shoot lead bullets during training.

There are lots of aftermarket barrel with standard rifling if that's what your interested in shooting. I have Lone Wolf but it doesn't function very well so I wouldn't recommend them.

There are 2 reasons I can think of. As listed in the video in post #7, the FBI wanted lands and grooves so bullets could be more easily linked to a firearms. The other reason is probably use with lead bullets or possibly some of the new polymer coated ones. Polygonal rifling can have problems biting on lead bullets. I remember reading an article where a police agency had bullets tumbling at 7yds and out trying to shoot lead bullets during training.

Do you remember where that article came from? That seems pretty bizarre to me. Usually the concern with lead in polygonal rifling is lead building up in the barrel. From my understanding polygonal rifling actually forms a tighter seal than conventional rifling. Now maybe the lead could build up to a point, but there should still be enough of a twist to impart a spin. Idk if a barrel without rifling would stumble at as little as 7 yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back