Glock Gen. 4 Model 21 spring peening the barrel.

Recoil spring

I have a Gen. 4 Glock Model 21 that appears to have the recoil spring peen the underside of the barrel, about 1/3rd the length, and noticeable near the lug that holds the recoil spring end near the chamber. I bought this gun used, but in new condition about 4 years ago, and have only shot around 500-600 rds through it. I keep it well lubed and clean.

My 10 year old Gen. 3 Glock 19 does not have this issue, but it uses a plastic spring over the steel one of the Gen. 4. The air gap on the Model 21 between how the spring rides horizontally in relation to the barrel is adequate for not touching that I can see, I suspect that when the gun is fired it whip saws and strikes the barrel. I read that when these Gen. 4s came out they had issues with the springs?

Anyone notice this, sorry no pictures.

I agree that pictures are needed. I'm scratching my head a little about the mention of a plastic spring. Do you mean the guide rod maybe?

The guide rods of Gen 3s and earlier are plastic. Even still, it takes a metal of equal or greater hardness to damage another metal. I find it hard to believe the metal housing of the recoil spring is that hard.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yes, the guide rod on my Model 19 Gen. 3., sorry about that I just sold the Model 21 an hour ago, my issue was that I had replaced the trigger connector to lighten the trigger pull which helped on my other Glocks and it did nothing to help me on the Gen. 4, was flinching bad the last two times at the range with that heavy trigger, read that the Gen. 4's require more extensive gun smithing to lighten the trigger.

Also, with the improved and much cheaper ammo cost of the 9 MM I did not see the reason to have a .45 ACP as it was so heavy to load my backpack for a range visit with this stuff over the lighter 9 X 19 and I have a bad knee and am 61 years old, was really hurting with the heavy 45 in weight. Always amazed at the US soldiers who had to carry a Thompson and .45 ACP ammo on those long marches, amazing, but they were young and boot camp adjusted.

Back