Glock Convert - Conclusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankeny

Last of a four, (or was it five?) part installment. I have been shooting Glock pistols a bunch for the last 9 months. All of the LEO agencies around here, and most of my shooting buddies have gone to Glocks, so I have been giving them a try. In the past 9 months I have owned a G21, G23, G17, G27 and a G35. I only have the G35 and G27 left.

The G21 was too fat so I traded it on the G35, my brother wanted the G17 so he got it, and I sold the G23 to the cop across the street. I hate the ergonomics of the Glock. They point too high so I had Arizona Response Systems do grip reductions on the G35 and the G27 and they now fit me perfectly.

I have shot about 1000 rounds through the G35. I added some Heinie Sights in addition to the grip reduction. The pistol shoots OK, but not what I consider a tack driver. I get 3-inch groups off hand at 25 yards and I can’t seem to improve on that. I consider the G35 to be a great “tactical” pistol, but it leaves something to be desired for serious competition.

I have shot about 500 rounds through my G27 and I love it. I no longer carry my P7M8 at all and the G27 is my primary carry weapon. It is very accurate and carries well. It doesn’t exhibit the butt heavy traits of the P7M8 and my particular G27 is more accurate than the P7M8. Not that I dislike the 9mm, but the G27 is a forty and I shoot it as well as the nine so why not carry it? Also, the Glock pistol will digest just about any kind of hollow point ammunition without throating and polishing as is often required with 1911 pistols. The total reliability with all ammunition and lack of external controls make the Glocks perhaps the best self-defense pistols you can find. I like them very much.

I cancelled my order for a Polymer Kimber in .40 S&W because I am tired of waiting and I bought a Kimber Classic Stainless Gold Match in .45 ACP (on an impulse) this morning. I have had several 1911 style pistols including Colts, Les Baer, and Clark Custom. I took the new Kimber out this afternoon and ran 200 rounds through it. I also took my G35 along for a side by side comparison. The Kimber is a nice pistol. Aesthetically, the Gold Match makes my G35 look like something that crawled out of a Dumpster. I have tried to appreciate the new polymers and modern manufacturing techniques. However, steel, Rosewood, and the lines of the 1911 beat the heck out of plastic any day. When I lay the Kimber next to the Glock, I automatically reach for the Gold Match. Also, there is something unnatural about shooting in a match with a plastic pistol. It just isn’t right. It’s like lions sleeping with sheep. And who cares if the 1911 might smokestack with a hollow point? I am going to shoot ball type ammo anyway. The Gold Match is right at home shooting with good old boys. I have the G27 to shoot at the bad guys.

So there is my humble opinion. The Glock is a very fine defensive handgun and I am going to carry one for that purpose. In fact, they are great defensive pistols, maybe even the best, but they are still a bit “cheesy” and they don’t get my heart pounding like a quality 1911.

Yes sir, I am going to flaunt my new Gold Match at the range and I look forward to stomping some major butt on my Glock shooting buddies. They don’t need to know I wear a Glock to and from the range. They just need to know my Kimber is something to fear when the timer starts and the targets turn.

P.S.

I almost forgot...there is a used G35 with Heinie Sights an ARS grip reduction and 2 almost new preban hi-caps for sale in the handguns for sale section.

[This message has been edited by Ankeny (edited November 06, 1999).]

I understand your dilemma. Are you getting 3" groups with your 1911 Kimber at 25 yards like you were with your Glock? I cannot decide between a Glock G26 , Kimber Ultra Carry or maybe a Keltec P11? I need much advice!

shortfuse
I would go with the kimber ultra carry very accrute handgun,works well for me. comfortable to ware allday. glock is also a good choice not alot of levers to play with
strickly DOA but the triger pull is allright.
dont no about keltec i think i will talk a look at them. hope this helps

Shortfuse:

I am getting better than 3" groups with the Kimber...that is why I am going to use it in IDPA as opposed to the G35. The modifications I made to the G35 put it in the same category as the 1911 style pistols.

I chose the Glock for everyday carry. The G26 would serve you well. OTOH the Kimber is a great pistol. Get the one that you like the best, whether it is feel or looks, either one will serve you well.

I like the full size 1911 better than the G35. However, I like the G27 better than the compact 1911's...kind of a personal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back