Glock 47: What's the point?

Brownstone322

You guys have probably already seen the Glock 47, which is/was a 9mm produced for U.S. Customs and Border Patrol.

https://cdn.athlonoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2019/04/glock-47-cbp19.jpg

As best I can tell, it's a Glock 17 Gen 5 slide (with a "chin" underneath) on a Glock 45 frame with the shorter dust cover. If that's what CPB wanted, then fine, but what do you think the point of that was? One might think that an off-the-rack G17 woulda been less expensive.

Parts compatible…

CBP really doesn’t have an armorer’s program anymore (they were bought so cheap, we break one… they give us a new one), but would you rather have three different recoil assemblies for three different guns (26, 19, 47) or two with the main two issued (19 and 47) sharing the same?

Ideally, it would be smart to go with it instead of the 17. Buy the 47, and a 19 slide assembly… you have the full size and the 45. Add a 47 slide assembly to a 19… sort of a 19L. Glock got a taste of it when people were making what eventually became the 30S.

And just a quick fix… it is US Customs & Border Protection. US Border Patrol is a part, along with Office of Field Operations and Air & Marine Operations.

Last edited:
If the deal was right, then they came out a winner. And does anyone really know what the deal was? I am not a Glock Fan nor a hater. But GOV contracts can have all kinds of deals going on. Heck, if the deal was great for me, I might even buy one.

You are probably right, but I believe the price was just under $230 per gun.

I believe that’s about it… been over a year since we switched from the P2000 to the 19 (OFO standardized on the 19, instead of the option between the two), and I forget what was said during.

The three guns were bought off of a solicitation. One of the requirements was a certain percentage of parts from compact and full size guns could swap. Other stuff was the red dot cut and funky magazine bases, which I believe the latter are being dropped from the 47 due to some issue (don’t really know, aware of it, but it is a BP thing). Likely… they will probably just go to the standard bases across the board (I am undecided if I like the longer base).

But I do believe the 47 has roots in what Glock submitted for the M17/18 trial. Remember the 19X... I am guessing the switch to the 47 slide would have been the M18.

funky magazine bases, which I believe the latter are being dropped from the 47 due to some issue
Apparently, the extended base plates could hook on the metal reinforcement of seat frames (upholstery and foam worn off) and get torn off when exiting the vehicle with some haste. Rumored to only be a problem with the slightly longer 47.

Back