Glock 31 for home defense?

Ron Metzger

Inactive
I currently have a Glock 17 and am considering a Glock 31 for home defense. Would appreciate any comments or recommendations. Thanks.

If you switch to .357Sig, would you practice less because of ammo cost? Would your rate of accurate fire decrease due to recoil?

Shot for shot, .357 Sig is a better stopper, but if you answered yes to either of the above, then I would just keep the 9mm.

If you’re looking to get a more effective home defense weapon, buy a 12-gauge shotgun. But if your set on going with a pistol, I say stick with the glock. Maybe you should consider a change in ammunition. I would recommend Federal hydrashock +P hollowpoints. The +P gives the 9mm decent stopping power, but the hollowpoint with not over-penetrate so you don’t have to worry about putting a round through the wall and out into the neighborhood. But I still say the best weapon for home defense is 12-gauge OO Buck. Just a suggestion.
Think about it, also you can pick up a good Remington 870 for less than half the cost of a G31

Any weapon that functions, superior to none!

The Glock is a fine choice, not feeling expert, I am more comfortable with a greater mag capacity that the 17 has. I believe you can increase the capacity of the 31 by using the high cap 40 S&W from the Glock 22 ($100) with the Sig ammo in the Glock 31 but when I went to Wal Mart for Sig ammo they had none. They had plenty 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP but no Sig 357. I believe that price and availibility should be in the consideration, also the expense of replacing the 9mm. Do we want to kill neighbors through the walls with ammo more powerful than needed? Ignore the last if you do not live in the city. But there may be family members on the other side of the walls also. We would hope that a convincing display of armed force should detur all but the most demented, if you, like I have nothing in my home worth a life except me and my family, it seems the choice of caliber is a relatively minor consideration, as long as effective compared to not having a weapon at all. Shotguns loaded with bird shot for attention getting, followed by buck shot for the serious confrontation seems like a viable alternative for home protection and cost effective as well. Thank You,
Wayne

Back