Glock 30. Just how good is it?

viper

Hey Guys,

I'd be interested to know, from people who have owned this gun, if it lives up to the hype. I'm a very satisfied G19 owner(since '93) and have thought about getting the G30 as an additional carry gun for my collection. I've already decided to acquire a custom 1911, so I figured I'd also get a G30 as a knock-around carry piece, since it eats the same ammo.

Are there any problems with it that I should be aware of, specifically in the area of reliability?

Has anyone out there had a any jamming/feeding problems when the gun has been decently maintained and used with factory jacketed ammo(including different kinds of hollowpoints)?
By the way, I said "decently maintained", and not "well maintained", as one shouldn't have to baby a Glock as much as many of the other brands out there. I believe that all one should have to do with a Glock is keep it relatively clean and lightly oiled, and replace the various springs every once in a while(It is a military design, after all).

Have there been any cases of kb's with factory ammo, including +p stuff like Cor-bon, that were due to the fault of the gun in any way?

Is anyone unhappy with their G30 in any way, or have a bad story of any kind?

Does anyone have anything to say in praise of it, in a way that separates it from the other guns in their collections.

Are there any custom 1911 owners out there who prefer to shoot or carry their G30? Would you recommend it over the 1911, even though they are very different?

My experience with the G30 is admittedly limited. I have only had one since Christmas. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I did indeed shoot it better than my G26, or G19!!!!!!! Maybe the hype about accuracy is true.:) I have yet to experience a jam with it. There are minor accuracy variations attributed to different ammo. Mine seems to "like" 185gr Hydro Shoks. It does ok with 185gr Silvertips, but better with the above mentioned load. I have yet to try any of the 230gr hollow points. 230gr FMJ works also.

I have a Glock 30, and I am very happy with it. I did have a feeding problem that I was able to trace to a bad magazine. I replaced the magazine, and I have had no problems since (over 2,500 rounds).

No matter what else I buy, the 30 is still my favorite carry weapon. Nothing else I know of combines the same accuracy, reliability and firepower in such a small package. The only failure I've had in about 2000 rounds is a broken slide lock spring, and even if that happened while the crap was hitting the fan, the gun would still functioned. I've had a few light primer strikes when shooting cheap ammo, but no jams.

I've replaced the guide rod with a Wolff steel one and factory weight springs, swapped out the stock trigger with a smooth-faced one from a Glock 21, added a factory extended slide stop lever, and Trijicon sights. I use a 9-round mag with a Pearce grip extension when carrying, loaded with ProLoad 200gr +P.

One of the most accurate Glocks. Compact and 11 rounds; pretty good package.

Best Choice

I've put 1200 rounds through mine and have shot it at 2 competitions. It's a great gun. My previouse 45 was Ruger P97 and while I liked it, I love the Glock.

It will shoot any factory spec loads to include +P. My carry ammo is GS185+P JHP.

One thing for sure, she WILL NOT shoot jacketed semi wad cutters. The action is too short so the back of the expended brass hangs up on the lip of the wadcutter during ejection. You end up with the brass being force back in the barrel and the new round jammed behind it.

Great gun to carry.

The G30 is slightly thicker than a G21, and slightly less accurate. If you like a small .45acp with lots of capacity, then you will like it. It is harder to draw as quickly as the G21 because of the shorter grip. The G30 does not ingest 200SWC bullets with any reliability. Having said all a that, and owning both, the G30 is an amazinglly accurate little .45acp....

I've had occasion to shoot four different model 30's. One was a friends and I still own the other three. All of them are perfectly reliable with everything I've fed them with the exception of some reloads that I personally screwed up on [ primers not seated fully ]. I'm guessing I've shot somewhere around ten thousand rounds through the four of them with no breakage or stoppage that could be attributed to the gun itself. I sold my G19 after buying my first G30, they are so nearly the same size that I just never carried the G19 any longer.
As long as it fits your hand I'd say buy one or mayby even two. You shouldn't find a reason to regret it.

Back