Glock 22 What the F?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mylhouse

Hey Glock experts- I don't know if this has been posted before, but I have a .40 Glock question/problem for you...
I have an old (no tac rail or fingergrooves) model 22 with some peculiar wear on the underside of the slide. On both sides of the barrel on the actual inside of the slide itself, I have two somewhat symmetrical shear marks. To give you an idea where they are at, they are even with the "SW" stamped on the left side of the slide and about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch long. I can see bare metal.
Is this a sign of impending doom or merely cosmetic? One dude (who has given me BS information before, but a friend nonetheless) told me that it was common with 40's and only with 40's. Anyone care to chime in to help out a veteran shooter but a Glock monkey spank? Thanks.

It's known as peening. Check out glocktalk.com and search the archives. Folks have posted detailed technical explanations and photographs. It won't affect the function or accuracy of your pistol one bit.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Thanks, dudes. I feel so much better now, especially after reading about all the alleged Kabooms! I was really beginning to regret not getting the 21 or 17 instead. Why doesn't the "peening" happen on the other caliber Glocks?

If it makes you feel better Mylhouse I also have the peening on my slide on my G22, also noticed a little peening on my S&W 909. So it is normal and not only in Glock .40's.

I've not seen it in any Glock I've handled, despite several thousans rounds in the case of one M23.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

I've seen it in every Glock 40 I've ever seen, and lots of 9s too.

Usually no problem since it's self-limiting, but it can get bad enough to cause some probs, but that is very rare.

My G32s do it very little BTW, less than my G17.

------------------
>>>>---->

The peening is the result of one of the few flaws that Glocks have - frame flex. During recoil the frame flexes causing the locking block to rotate up striking the slide. In most cases it is not a problem. In extreme cases the slide will cut the outside of the mag lips. Just keep an eye on it. If the slide starts cutting your mags stone the peen marks down. Don't feel stupid this question has been asked a million times on Glock Talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back