Glock 21 opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goranco

Inactive
Is Glock 21 reliable gun for lifetime gun. In Macedonia we can get only one permit for self defense gun.Does his polymer frame resist to all torture caused by powerful .45ACP and etc.If you have some bad experiences with Glock 21 feel free to tell me that, it is realy important for me.
Thanks....

------------------

goranco,

I am not a GLOCK advocate but have handled the model 21 on several occasions it is like any other GLOCK with the exception of size. It would be a good choice for someone with large hands who wants a GLOCK. Conceal carry? Also, because of its size is not ideal for conceal carry. Durabilty? GLOCK does have a reputation for being as durable as any.

The negatives I have encountered, though few, are enough to sway me away from GLOCK when selecting it as a handgun.

The first is the triggers on them. I absolutely positively cannot stand GLOCK trigger systems. They feel very tight and heavy, and I can't squeeze out the same accuracy as when I shoot my SIGs or 1911 pistols. The DAO GLOCK system is very popular in LEO circles though, so obviously it has a following with some people. I have talked to many LEOs who would prefer a weapon that had a "better" trigger system. So not all LEOs embrace GLOCKs...

I also do not care for polymer handguns, because of awkward feel in my hands. I used to have a model 22 GLOCK, and when I fired it, it would "lose" a lotta weight. The balance of the weapon, which in my experience was already lacking, became even more so as I emptied the magazine.

As far as recoil goes the lighter polymer weapons will not absorb recoil as well as heavier ones. I think the difference is hardly noticeable in handgun cartridges as it might be in heavy calibered weapons (i.e. sniper rifles).

If durability is your only concern GLOCK is not a bad choice. But there are IMHO better weapons out there. I would look at the weapon selection (if it is only going to be one) with much more criteria than just durability. As I have mentioned, what about the size to hand fit of the weapon? The trigger system? Ammo availablity and cost in your area? All factors you should considered?

What turned you on to the MODEL 21 in the first place? This would help the people on this forum get a better feel for what YOU want out of the weapon.

I can only supply my opinion based on the question.

Any GLOCK fans out there...

If so this man needs a little assisstance.

GOOD LUCK,

------------------
SURE SHOT

James Montes,
Thank you for your explanation. I need handgun for self defense, I use to go outdoor a lot because I am a geologist and it wiil be for my my protection out there. I also require a lot of rounds in magazine, we do not have restrictions on rounds in magazine like in U.S.I have possibility to by CZ-99 (Crvena Zastava CZ-99) in caliber 9 Para it is improved copy of Sig Sauer P-226 with hromed barel inside for easier cleaning and longer life, it has one button for slide lock, deckoking hammer and slide release, manufacturer garanties 30 ooo rounds without damages, in advertisment videos i saw how this gun make shoots inside barel full of mud. Do you think that 9 para is good choice and is this gun maybe better choice than G 21

Goranco,
I have a Glock 21, as well as several other handguns. Personally, it is my favorite and I use it for concealed carry.

The grip is big, so, if you have small hands or short fingers, I would recommend another gun for you. However, if your hand is big enough, the 21 is accurate, and the trigger is fine, as long as you get used to it.

As an example, my wife shoots only revolvers, since she claims not to like semi autos. However, the last time we went shooting, I had her shoot my Glock 21. She shot it very accurately and said she liked the way it felt. She has long fingers, by the way.

The one caution with Glocks (any model) is to shoot only jacketed bullets. DO NOT shoot lead bullets in any Glock because of the polygonal rifling.

As for durability, I'd put the polymer-framed Glock against any metal-framed pistol and the Glock would outlast the other under virtually any conditions. The Glocks work for a long, long time. They're good guns.

9mm is a good choice as well as the 45. The 45 has it's fans, and the 9mm has its fans. Either calibre should provide you with the protection you seek, if you use good defensive hollow point ammunition. The biggest factor in self defense with a handgun is shot placement, not calibre. Anything from a 9mm on up would be sufficient.

Please let us know what you finally choose and why. I think some of us would be interested in your thoughts.

Nazman

Goranco,
I have had a model 21 for a couple of years and I shoot it in competition. The trigger does take a bit of getting used to if you have been exposed to triggers on 1911 style pistols. There is a certain way to quickly get off a second or successive shot on Glocks. Hold the trigger to the rear after the gun fires and completes it's reload cycle. The trigger then only has to be moved about 1/8 of an inch forward to be "recocked" and it is now ready to fire again.

If you are planning to protect yourself from a variety of animals that put you on the lunch menu, I strongly suggest going with the .45 ACP over the 9 mm. Specifically, hollow points of the 230 grain variety. Just my opinion, but bigger holes tend to make the liquid inside come out a bit faster. The .45 has a capacity of 13 rounds in the original magazines where the 9 has 19 rounds. Six more rounds might help if you were surrounded by more than 13 targets, but capacity should not be a major part of your decision. What should be is how well (read accurately) you can shoot each weapon. Pick the one that you can hit with. Just as in competition, in real life misses count against you.

As far as dependable operation, I have only had one jam in about 5,000 rounds and that was on an old magazine that was purchased used. When I took it apart, it was full of crud and apparently had never been cleaned. Cleaned it up and replaced the spring and it now runs just fine!

Good luck with your decision. IF you want more information on Glocks, check out Glock Talk at http://glocktalk.com

DblTap

------------------
"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"

[This message has been edited by DblTap (edited November 18, 1999).]

I own two 70 Series Gold Cups; they stay in the safe, my Glock 21 stays with me and gets shot at least a thousand rounds per month. As far as recoil, the design of the Glock (low bore axis, relative to grip), alleviates felt recoil better than my 1911's. Glocks are easier to repair, if, God forbid, they ever needed repairing. You don't need a gunsmith to completely disassemble a Glock. You can install a 3.5# connector yourself, if you don't like the factory trigger. That's what I use, and I'm pleased with it. The quick-reset trigger feature mentioned above makes follow-up shots almost like single action.

I shoot .400 Cor-Bon, through a compensated Accu-Match barrel in my Glock 21. It's a great round, and I've found it extremely accurate to 100 yds. I would have tried beyond 100 yds, but we only have a 100 yd range.

If anything ever goes wrong with your Glock, you can be assured that you will be treated fairly and dealt with quickly by Glock.

With the Glock 21, you'll be able to use 13-rd. mags, as I assume that Klinton isn't President of Macedonia, also. Additionally, you can buy +5 extensions from Grams, and get 18 rounds in your mag.

I've put 20,000 rounds or so of my reloads through the Glock 21. No problems. If I had to choose between my Glock and the two Gold Cups, I'd take the one Glock.

Glocks will fire and function perfectly under conditions that'll leave most handguns nothing but a pile of rusty metal. You'll NEVER see rust on a Glock.

[This message has been edited by WalterGAII (edited November 18, 1999).]

What WalterGAII said - providing your hands are big enough. Like the folks above said, the Glock 21 has a big grip, and does not fit well with small hands. I have a 21 and small hands, so it is not my first choice for self-defense and carrying. I use it quite a bit for target shooting, as it is accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot. I use something else for defense, but if the 21 fit my hand better, I would probably feel very comfortable using it as a carry weapon. Hope that helps.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

[This message has been edited by Fred (edited November 18, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back