Glock 20 to 9 x 23....can it be done?

Tornado

Inactive
Just curious as to the feasability of doing this mod. Higher capacity, less recoil, magnum ballistics, plus its a glock.

I picked the 20 due to cartridge length, although I am not sure about the breech face and the extractor.

Any barrel makers out there who could do this?

Thanks for your input good or bad.

I am guessing not BUT the person I would think would be able to answer the question with authority is Dane Burns. He is a 1911 smith who specializes in the 9x23 round. He coincidentally also does work on Glocks. I'd contact him at link below and please report back if he has any positive news.

http://www.burncustom.com

I hate to be the negative person here but my first question is, what about magazines? Since there are only 10mm and .45 ACP mags available for this frame size, it would seem you would have to modify one of these mags and you are not dealing with a regular steel mag since they are coverd in plastic.

As far as the barrel goes, it would seem feasable. Original 1911 type 10mm's used a 38 super breech faced slide and a different extractor. There are makers who make 9mm barrels that work in the 40 Glocks so the same principal wouls seem to apply.

My last comment would be, other than for a higher round capacity, why? If you want a high velocity .355" bullet just get a 9x25 barrel for a G20 and be done with it. I have +2's on my G20 mags which make them 17 rdounders and with one in the chamber, I carry 18 rds. If you went with the 9x25 it would be a simple barrel change and thats itm. No extractor or breechface work (if needed) and no modifications to the mags. The other thing is that you know the 9x25 works. You could spend allot of $ to get this thing going and find out that it doesn't work.

Now if you have the $ to spend and like doing this type of thing (experimenting) then great. Have at it and let us know how it shoots when you get it finished :D

9x23

yes, you can. i talked with a guy from cp bullets which was recommended through dane burns site.
they have a package that they do to glock 20's the very way you want. they use bar-sto barrels and your breechface question poses no problems he says. i think the site is http://www.classicpistol.com
i did a site search using the words "classic pistol" and it came right up. they do some feed lip re-forming for the magazines.
hope this helps. good luck and onward with 9x23!!

Thanks for the info everyone.

I hear the 9 x 25 is a beast for muzzle blast. I would love to shoot one someday, however, I am not a big time reloader so I will stick with the 9 x 23 for now. By the way, what are the ballistics on this round. I am definately curious.

All the feedback is appreciated and I will definitely let you guys know if I get this thing going.

Regards

T

Back