Glock 20 RSA question

s&w500

Picked up a G20 gen 4, and a stainless steel guide rod in stock weight (17lbs I think?) Gonna be one of my woods carry sidearms. So I also acquired a 6" Double diamond stainless steel barrel from glockstore and a 20 pound RSA from brass stacker, all to accommodate Hard-cast projectiles moving at high velocities. My question is, at what point do I need the 20 pound spring as opposed to the factory weight? It is a combination of bullet weight and velocity no? Please and thank you very much in advance.

Cast projectiles, hard or not, do not get driven at high velocities without leading. What you think is "high velocities" matters though.
However, Wolff Springs says the factory M20 does have a 17 pound spring. Before you fiddle with springs, try the pistol as is with whatever ammo you're playing with.

Agree with shoot it and see. Hot ammo with the stock spring weight will fling your brass into the next county... and you know us 10mm'ers are big time brass rats. We don't like our brass being flung into the next county.

Cast projectiles, hard or not, do not get driven at high velocities without leading. What you think is "high velocities" matters though

While this is true, I don’t see 10mm being hard for leading assuming the projectiles are properly sized, and you don’t try to push light for caliber projectiles to their absolute max velocity. Stick with 150s or heavier and pushing cast fairly hard in 10mm shouldn’t be a huge issue.

Cast projectiles, hard or not, do not get driven at high velocities without leading. What you think is "high velocities" matters though.

Not sure about that. I have shot the gas checked 200, 220, and 230 grain hard cast in my Glock 20 as fast as they can be loaded and never had a leading issue. Most leading will be caused by shooting bullets that are too soft for higher velocities but if the BHN is high enough, you can shoot hard cast bullets VERY fast as I have done many times in my 460 XVR and 480 Ruger.

I've always just used the stock spring in my Gen 4 Glock 20.

Casting yourself or store bought?

I've switched to coated for lead bullets in autos. Won't be going back to plain lead or plated anytime soon.

Cast projectiles, hard or not, do not get driven at high velocities without leading.

Unless they're coated, like the poly-coated HC projectiles from SNS Casting. I've handloaded and shot their 220gn poly HC FPs extensively in the 6.2" factory barrel of my Glock 40 - with most of those being at or near max - and have had ZERO leading issues.

As far as the OP's initial query, the Gen4 G20, like my Gen4 G40, uses the updated dual RSA. Earlier generations of the Glock 20s did not.

So you should shoot your gun first with the factory set up and see how it handles the 'heavy & fast' 10mm loads before swapping in a heavier aftermarket single spring and guide rod.

Back