Glock 20 project

stagpanther

Decided it was time to take a break from the AR-mania world and start a new Glock project. This is a bullet-nose long slide which can be retrofitted to a 20SF frame and I intend to run a LW 6" 10mm barrel and an uncaptured recoil spring guide rod with a set of IMSI springs. Haven't worked on one in about ten years.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2572.jpg
    IMG_2572.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 337
Thanks--still waiting on a firing pin sleeve tool for the channel and a sight tool for the tritium sight, decided I didn't want to risk an errant hammer blow with radioactive material. ;)

I use the same barrel but with stock springs. Put a green dot on it.
This isn't my first Glock 20--but the first one I converted to 9x25 Dillon, which honestly I like even more than the 10mm so I decided to keep it that way. I've had gobs of different sights--but this is my first tritium one.

The tungsten guide rod just came in withe long-slide extension--what LW leaves out in their description of installs into gen 3 Glocks is that it's impossible to replace springs without locking back the slide and dissembling the guide rod from in front of the slide. This is DOA to me--you can't even strip the pistol for cleaning without having to do this with a gen 3. Money down the drain.

Not sure what the comparison is--I only have one 1911 and it's a recent Colt. I called LW today and they confirmed my suspicion--the only way the extension can be attached to the tungsten main guide rod in the long slide is to first cock the slide with the guide rod in spring installed but the front of the main rod extends outside the slide front--and then you have to thread the extension on with locktite. Only catch--if you ever want to strip your Glock or change the spring; you have to figure out how to break the locktite seal and then rotate the extension off. Non-starter for me, totally defeats the utility of a non-captured main spring IMO.

The 2-piece FL guide rods for the 1911 were the same, but no lock-tite was used, as they were usually dis-assembled for cleaning before they could loosen... nor did you have to lock open the slide as most used a hex wrench on the muzzle end to unscrew them and the chamber end had curved piece that followed the barrel contour so the rear half wouldn't rotate.

Since Glock guide rods are just round on the chamber end, I'm curious what would keep the rear portion of the LW rod from rotating... I'm guessing the front portion is short enough that the rear is exposed with the slide locked open?

Last edited:
I'm guessing the locktiting is necessary on the long slide Glock because of the risk of the extension unscrewing enough to maybe hang up on a ledge?
I'm guessing the front portion is short enough that the rear is exposed with the slide locked open?
Yes.
Getting a 20 or 22 lb spring on for full-power 10mm loads is no easy feat when "free-floating" into the slide prior to installing the extension.

Channel liner tool and sight vice came in today--so I'm almost there. Last step is to figure out how the the wheeler tool works, it looks complicated enough that I figure the odds of me goofing up are real high if I don't carefully study and follow instructions. I replaced the trigger system in the old 20SF frame with a zev reduced pull system. I guess you could say this is a Glock 20-40;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2607.jpg
    IMG_2607.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Sight tool works fine, but it takes a lot of steps to get set up. Installed the truglo ftx's on both the 10mm and 9 x 25 Dillon. Guess I'm going to have to test them sooner or later.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2609.jpg
    IMG_2609.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 139
happy days!

Test fired the new Glock build with tfx sights with some mid-power cartridges--wonderful!! Shoots nice and smooth, really can tell the difference between it and the 20--but I've yet to push to the red-line full-power loads. Left a nice neat pile of cases right next to me rather than launching them into Canada. Sight is a bit off center, but I expected that, but so far love the new tfx.:D:D

Thanks--the only thing about it is I can't get it to fit Lone Wolf's own Timberwolf large frame which is supposed to be gen 3 compatible as far as I know.:confused:The extra heft of the long slide I think makes for a better shooting 10mm compared to the 20 IMO. The sights are fantastic too, I'm not a handgun guy, so this group at 16 yds is outstanding for my limited talents compared to what I used to do with 10mm handguns.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2610.jpg
    IMG_2610.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 100
Back