Glock 20 or 21. Man oh man, decisions, decisions.

Sling Shot

Ok, here is my situation. I want another Glock at least with a caliber that starts with a 4, and I am not going to use this gun for ccw. I will just use it for home defense, plinking, target shooting, and maybe on a deer or two. In the case of the Glock 20, why is the 10 mm round not given as much credit as it should have? I am no expert, but the ballistics of this round are awesome. It is right up there with the infamous .357 mag round in factory loadings. Also, I can still get preban 15 round high caps for the Glock 20 although they are rather expensive.

Now, this leaves me with the versatile .45 caliber in the Glock 21. I have been doing a lot of research lately, and have found out that a Glock 21 can be outfitted with barrel swaps and recoil spring changes to shoot 400 corbon, 40 Super, 45 Super, 450 SMC, 460 Rowland, and lord knows what is coming next. If it were you, which one would you pick, the 20 or 21, and for what reasons. Thanks, Sling Shot

Yep, It's a hard decision. I have fired the 20 and own a 21 with a Federal ported barrel for 45 Super, etc. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I also think the 10mm does not get the attention it deserves. I guess my reasoning was based on a couple things. I already had a G30 for concealed carry and love it. Nice little package that fires a fat bullet. The G30 shoots as well as any full sized pistol I have. It seemed a logical move at the time and I have no regrets. I also wanted to toy with the 45 Super for hunting. It reaches 700lbs and more pretty easily, all with a .45 bullet. The availability of factory ammo and components was the final factor for the 21. It's not like 40 cal components are hard to find, but .45 are all over the place. You can get G21 13 rounders as well. They average about 100 bucks a piece. Good Luck.

For target shooting or home defense, I'd go with the Glock 21. If you need something that can be somewhat effective against black bears or pumas, then the Glock 20 is a better choice. The G20 is a great hiking/trail pistol IMO, but it is too powerful for home defense work (over penetration is a concern).

some ramblings...

Well, I guess it would all depend on your situation. The situation I'm in basically dictates my preference. At this point, funds are low, so I'm limited as to how many handguns I can have (2 - one for HD and Range and the other for CCW) and how much ammo I can shoot out of them. Due to this, I went with the .45 as my "primary" gun.

As you said, the 10mm has a lot going for it ballistically. The .45, however, does have plenty enough oomph to get the job done for my purposes (even without +P).

The 10mm does have that odd cool factor, however, and I might get one someday, but I don't consider it a "necessity." I liken it to wanting a .44 Magnum wheelgun... it would be awesome to have, hold, and shoot every once in a while but I would not want it for home defense.

How many good defensive HP rounds are available at local stores for the 10mm in their full loadings? I personally have not seen very many at all. Golden Sabers, Gold Dots, etc? How many full power loadings are still available for the 10mm... I honestly don't know, but it might be something to consider if all you can get without going out of your way is a slightly hotter .40 Auto for a higher price.

On the other hand, if you plan on open carry, outdoors, etc (aside from hunting) you should probably go for the 10mm, especially if you already have a 9mm, .40 or .45 for dedicated HD. Even then, however, slap in a heavier recoil spring (no bbl change) and grab a box or two of 450SMC and you wouldn't do bad by any means with the .45 if you really felt you needed the extra oomph.

Still, 15 rounds of 10mm would be very, very formidable.

Okay, I'll saddle up to this query.

Get the G20 if you want to hotrod!

Now sure you can go and get a G21 and then get a wildcat conversion barrel and pay through the nose for those semi-wildcat rounds--btw, the .40S, 460R, 45S are semi-wildcats.

And why? You could get the G20 and have all you'd need!

With everyone manufacturing 10mm ammo in all levels of power--tepid to titanic, there's no need for a swap out barrel for hotrod performance.

But if you are looking to keep the pistol stock, I can find .45acp ammo everywhere but I need to order 10mm ammo for my tens. :( So in that regard the .45acp G21 wins hands down.

Derek

Being a big fan of the 10mm I would say the G20 with some reservations. If you reload the 10mm is a great weapon but the G21 is probably better if you don't.

I have a G20 and found a G21 complete topend so now I have a G21 conversion for my G20 :D.

Here's a pic:

View

I think I would start by getting a G-21 to begin with, for
home defense and target work.:) It works well on both; paper
and BG's.:D Then, later on if you need something for deer,
black bear, puma's and such; the G-20 would be in order.:eek::rolleyes:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Georgia Arms

"Shear Power Plus" line is pretty dang "Full Power" 10mm.

Unless you don't consider a 155 grain bullet generating ~650ft/lbs from a standard length G20 bbl and ~800 ft/lbs from a 6" G20 Hunting Barrel to be "full power", that is. :eek:

Available over the internet at a much lower cost than .400 Cor-Bon, .40 Super, .45 Super, .450SMC, .460 Rowland, and other hard-to-find, big $$$, .45 spinoffs.

The only reason I'd suggest at least checking out a G20 is that you mentioned "hunting". From a bone-stock G20 loaded with Cor-Bon Hunting loads in 180gr or 200gr weight you're ready to go. No barrel swaps, no recoil spring changes, etc.
You get home, drop the mag, clear the chamber, and pop in a fresh mag with 15 rounds of Silvertips, Cor-Bons, Pro-Loads or Federals or any one of several other fine loads and voila! it's a home defense gun again. Again, no recoil spring or barrel swap required. Oh, and don't worry about the "tremendous recoil" of the 10mm, especially when you hear about it from someone trying to sell you on .45 MaxiMegaBoomer as an alternative; the 10mm is more than adequately controllable from the stubby little G29 I carry and almost depressingly mild-shooting from the big G20... ;)

IMO, the Glock 20 makes an excellent woods/camping/hiking pistol. Woods loads (Cor-Bon's Penetrator, etc) in 10mm are much better than anything in 45 cal. Get the Ten! Good Luck, J. Parker

WalterGAII,

SlingShot didn't mention whether he reloads or not. In the absence of that information, I'll assume he purchases his ammo ready-to-go like I do and not in kit form like you advanced shooters. ;)

Back