Glock 20 locked up.

Fox84

I have a Glock 20 that has a new Lone Wolf 357 sig barrel. It fired fine first 2 rounds and then seems to tried to go to battery with the 3rd rd and didn't quite make it. It lacks 1/8 to 3/16 inch of being fully closed. I have tried to move slide back by hand but it is stuck pretty tight. What must I do to clear this round?

With the 10mm barrel it ran fine.

I have seen this sort of thing many times.
I put the slide in a work bench vise [different vises require different precautions to keep from scratching the slide].

You need 50 pounds of force, but you haven't got enough grip on the slide with your big male right hand.
Put it in the vise and a little girl can push on the frame with 50 pounds.

Keep in mind that doing that deal in the vise means you've got a loaded handgun/chambered round. Also, that method does mean that you're also going to be forcing the extractor to yank out the offending round.

I would explore tapping on the rear of the slide to force the round fully in to battery, then I'd discharge the round. Failing that, I'd fall back to the method above but in the vise - I'd attempt to also depress the extractor to assist it's holding the case rim.

What's the source of the ammo?

If the lockup is ammo caused, it may be possible to depress the extractor to remove its grip on the stuck round and retract the slide. Also, if it's ammo related and you try to hammer the slide into battery, it may drive the bullet into the case, causing a VERY unsafe round to be in the chamber. Be sure NOT to fire it to "unchamber" it.

Not matter what you do, be very careful. Safety First!

Take it to a smith...

carefully...

My buddy had a glock {.40} jammed up, so tight I never seen anything like it, it just would NOT move, our smith, unjammed it {he did vise the gun with a ballistic catch on the end of it incase the round ignited, I never seen a bullet catcher before, just a long tube full of what looks like cotton insulation}, he mounted a puller of some sort and pulled the slide with it, the round was still in so he popped it out with a wood dowel, we left the gun there to be checked out, total cost as $90, he picked his gun up about 3 days later {it did need some parts}...

I remember thinking wow $90 isn't bad, but when my buddy got it back he said, "I could have bought a new gun for another $350", you can't please everyone...

Last edited:
Unless it's really and truly stuck shut, you can generally clear a jam like this if you hold the slide firmly with one hand and strike the back of the grip with the palm of your other hand.

Be VERY careful to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction throughout this exercise.

Sounds like the chamber is undersize, the ammo is oversize, or a combination of both.

I hate these type issues because I have had a accidental discharge with another gun some years ago. I cleared the round with some workshop leverage. Hands on the slide at the range don't do much.
The culprit was a my reload with a case neck distortion. I've read reloading for 357 Sig was dificult. Thanks for the replies.

You can jack your car up with a Glock 20 extractor.

I have not found any other men, other than me, that can chamber a round into my Glock 19 with 48 pound recoil assembly.

Back