Glock 20 gen 4 ... WOW!!!

shurshot

I have owned a few 9mm Glocks and one .40 in the late 80's, early 90's, but swapped them all off as I couldn't stand the grip. Too blocky, like a big block Lego. They shot fine, but just weren't for me as they didn't feel right. I'm a revolver guy anyhow. ;)
This week, I purchased a brand new Glock 20 10mm, gen 4... along with several hundred rounds of 10mm ammunition :D!!! I am duly impressed... don't want to put it down, the grip is amazing! Very ergonomic, so perfect, I didn't even use the grip extensions / beavertails that came with it. Truglo fiber optic sights on order... I cannot wait to get to the range and break it in. I had written off Glock two decades ago, swore I would never get another. They just didn't fit my hands. Not often I change my mind, but in this case Glock sure got it right.

Yeah, newer Glocks are far more ergonomic than they once were, especially with replaceable backstraps.

That being said, neither the .40 S&W cartridge nor the Glock 22 were around until 1990, so you must be mistaken about owning one in the 80's.

I wrote; "I have owned a few 9mm Glocks and one .40 in the late 80's, early 90's,"...?
And how was I mistaken?:confused:

blocky

I've got an early, what I suppose would be a Gen2 Glock G20. It's from the era when the G20 was first introduced, and it's like gripping a 2x6. No finger grooves, no rail. On the Gen3, large frame Glocks, the finger grooves were a big improvement for me.

I've had "square" grip Glocks and the Gen 4. Still have the Gen 4 19. Have tried the NEW Gen 5 and feel it is a step BACK. Like the finger grooves of my Gen 4. Can say that Glock's, for me, are not "thrilling. But, like a Craftsman tool, imminently usable. Just a real fine TOOL.

Finding the right grip for a manufacturer I've always thought is the equivalent of producing a one-size-fits-all condom.

I wrote; "I have owned a few 9mm Glocks and one .40 in the late 80's, early 90's,"...?
And how was I mistaken?

I don't think you were mistaken, even if 40 S&W didn't come about in the 90's. It all depends on how Forte S+W read your sentence, which could mean that you had 9mm at some point over the decades, and you had 40 cal at some point too.

I also like Gen 4 better than Gen 3. I've never handled Gen 1,2,5. They trimmed it up just right for my hand size and shape in the Glock 17.

Also, the only Gen 3 I still have is an old 2 pin police trade in which means it's worn smooth and shiny. And a smooth Gen 3 feels... greasy somehow. My newer Gen 4 and those nice pyramidal bumps definitely do *not* feel greasy, another reason I like it.

Finally got to put two boxes through her today, as my 10mm ammo arrived yesterday, thanks to Fed Ex. Very nice handling, gotta love that grip, mixed target ammo, appx, 180 grain at 1,000 fps or so, recoil was mild and easily absorbed. And a magazine full of hotter Underwood 180 hollowpoints @ 1300 fps, louder, kicked a bit more (felt more like a .41 Magnum), but highly accurate and easy to control. This will be my carry ammo. Super accurate with standard sights, although I'll be ordering Truglo fiber optics for low light and to make target acquisition easier.
Only one jam with the Glock 20, and I 100% consider it user error, as it happened a few minutes prior as well, shooting a friends S&W M&P 9mm. Both jams identical, failed to extract the empty, both occurring when I was shooting from the bench for accuracy, gun resting on left support hand, laying on table. All me. Guaranteed it was a limp wrist jam, as I was shooting out at over 30 yards at a rubber ball type target, was not holding the weapon tight enough, trying to squeeze out a more cautious trigger pull.
Standing, gripping in normally... ZERO issues. Pretty happy with her. Can't wait to upgrade the sights!
All the unkind things I have said about Glock in the past 3 decades(?)... well pass the salt, I'm eating crow! :D

Last edited:
Back