Glock 19 or H&K USP Compact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about purchasing my first handgun for home defence and target plinking, but I don't know which to purchase. the 2 choices I had narrowed it down to are the Glock 19 or the H&K USP9 Compact in Stainless Steel Finish. I am familar with the Glock system and know how to work it well, but I have heard the H&K is a better choice and I don't know which to decide on. On the H&K I would like double-action only like the Glock. I came to this decsion because my cousin owns a Glock 17 which I use on occasion and he thinks that both firearms are some of the best ever made. I can really use someone's help. E-Mail me or Post It please :)

[This message has been edited by The Silver Bullet 1719 (edited November 09, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by The Silver Bullet 1719 (edited November 09, 1999).]

Can you tell us a bit more as to the intended use of the weapon? CCW? Home defense? What features are "required" and what features are "preferences"?

Also, what made you narrow the field down to those 2 pistols? They're both excellent chioces it's just that I'm curious. Your answer to that question may help us give an opinon.

Mine BTW - go with the HK :)

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, NRA, LEAA and vote.

After years of walking by the Glock tables at local gunshows, I finally bought a G19. It really is an impressive gun. Small enough to carry and large enough to carry 16 rounds! It is a very efficient design. I would recommend it highly.

However, the H&K is nothing to sneeze at! You picked two excellent choices. The big question is, which fits your hand better? Just one warning, the new Glocks have integral finger grooves. If they fit your hand they are very nice. If they don't, the G19 isn't the gun for you...

I've owned and shot Glocks almost exclusively for about eight years... until I got an HK USP 40C!

The Glocks are great guns. They are true modern classics. Affordable, durable, RELIABLE (24,000 rnds in five different models in 8 years w/zero malfunctions) and are very easy to shoot well if you are a novice. An added plus is that they are slimmer than the HK's so therefore a bit more suited to CCW. If hi cap mags are of importance, there are still plenty available.

But the downside to the Glocks is that with no manual safety, Glocks are unforgiving of improper weapons handling. Thus require a serious commitment to safety (I know, all guns require a serious commitment, the Glocks require a tad more).

The H.K. USPC's are awesome weapons. They are very well engineered, more ergonomic than the Glocks and just as reliable. I very much like thier multi modal capabilities. If you like DA/SA, you got it. If you decide cocked and locked is for you, you got it. If you want DAO, you can have that and finally if you feel DA/SA w/a manual safety is for you, it's there too.

The downside to the HK's is that they are thicker, making concealed carry a bit more of a challenge. And the DA/SA trigger system requires more practice to become proficient in. (I have found that after I put about 300 rnds downrange practicing my DA/SA double taps, I actually shoot better w/that trigger system than the Glocks Safe Action trigger.)

I have read threads on this forum about the H.E. finish on the HK's being a little soft. The Glock's tennifer finsh seems to have the HK's beat.

I do like the dovetailed front sight. Nice touch.

If you can, rent both, and shoot them side by side. Then make your decision. You won't go wrong with either.

It's not often that you can't make a wrong decision :) .

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Both are great guns, but I much prefer the Glock. I don't like a manual safety on a handgun. I just want it pure and simple. The Glock has to be the easiest autoloader on the market to use. I also think that it is easier to conceal. There are also a lot more actual capacity magazines for the Glocks on the market.

Which one do YOU want?

HK's have external safeties and several different modes of carry. Might be more difficult to buy mags for and the gun will likely be more expaensive because it is the cool gun to have right now. It's also going to be far more difficult to accurately shoot rapid fire and double taps with a Double Action Only firing mechanism. I don't really consider Glock DAO because of the consistantly light trigger on every pull.

The Glock has a trigger... and a light one at that. I never rcommend a Glock as a first gun because of first-timers tendencies to touch the trigger unintentionally.

I ALWAYS recommend the same gun as a first: Ruger P-95.

Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited November 10, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited November 10, 1999).]

Silver Bullet,
HK USP 9mm - BUY IT NOW! Here are my reasons:
Fits like a glove
Shoots as straight as a ruler
Can be DA/SA, DAO, and so many other variations.
As reliable as your pet dog
Looks COOL
Will eat any weird type of ammo you can find
Has a safety (if you don't like one then get a decocker version instead or just don't use it)
Smoooth action
Good sight picture (get tritiums later)
Easily attach Tactical Light
Will do the job for both home and concealed defense
Good company history
I have the USP .40 fullsize and have fired it
and a friends Glock 17. Mine shot tighter groups at 15 meters.
Trust me, you'll be sorry if you don't!

I would go for the USP, but only because I have a full-size USP 45 and love it. Also, my big mitts don't fit the finger groves on the Glock.

However, I'll forward a friend of mine's opinion. He has a Glock 19 and a Glock 26 (The smallest 9mm glock, I think it's the 26).

He says he prefers the 26 with a Pierce grip extension on his magazines. Perhaps the smaller gun has a better recoil reduction system?

Just a thought. Don't get me wrong, he loves the glock 19: its like comparing a "9" to a "10" in his book.

Rich

Hey thanx for the help everybody :). I have given it a lot of thought and will probably go with the H&K because I have gotten so much replies of praise for it and it seems like the way to go(Unless its a whole lot more expensive than the Glock lol) but thanx for all the help.

First off, why do you want DAO? The HK's best feature is the ability to carry "cocked and locked" like a 1911, or it can be carried ready to go traditional double action. Secondly, if you really only want a DAO, I would assume the Glock trigger is better.

SB- I have a HK9 Compact and a Glock 26.(Also have a 32 which is same size as 19).

I like the Glocks better. Unless you get a Houge Handall, the HK grip will eat away at your hand. Withe the grip, it is a comfortable gun to hold.

I'm not particually fond of the HK sights (Easy fix). I'd recommend after market night sights.

I think the recoil is a little more on the HK's than my Glock 26. Feels snappier. My buddys Beretta 96 snapped less to me and thats a .40!(Ok bigger heavier gun)

The HK will run you about 125-175 more than a 19. Trigger is a little mushy...bit of takeup in SA.

All this being said, the HK is accurate, looks cool :) and eats everything I feed it.

I just like Glocks better. Can't go wrong with either. Good Luck!

------------------
"any color worm will do as long as it is purple"

Both are great weapons.

Whatever fits your hand and operates the easiest is my first criteria in weapon selection.

But...

If you want a weapon to be carried in a holster 100% of the time...I would get the Glock.

If you plan to use this weapon for all purpose...throw in your glove box, breifcase, fanny pack, back pack...I would get the HK.

I couldn't decide either so I bought both (G23C & HK USP Compact 9mm).

Good luck on your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back