Glock 17 Gen 5 vs Shadow Systems DR920 Foundation

Hoss632

Anyone shot both of these? I know the DR920 Foundation is fairly new. Just curious since they are both pretty close in price. I've held the G22 which is the 40 caliber version of a glock 17, so far that's the only full size gun I've held that's comfortable. So naturally seeing the DR920 I was immediately curious.

I have the MR920 which is a clone of the G19 and can make a direct comparison to the G19. If you like the look and feel of a 5th gen G17 (or G22) the SS clone will feel the same.

IMO the Shadow Systems guns are MARGINALLY better in theory. In practice, who knows. I trust a Glock to work. These clones of a Glock haven't been around long enough to say for sure.

My purchase of the Shadow Systems gun was really an impulse buy. The regular price on those is $700. I just happened to be in an Academy Sports who had a FDE colored one marked at $550. I was planning on getting a G19 or G17 MOS to mount an optic on and the SS pistol was priced cheaper than the MOS Glocks I'd been looking at.

For now, it's a range gun that I bought to experiment with optics on a pistol. I'd want more trigger time with it to trust it the way I would a Glock. But I can't say anything negative about it. For the same money I'd still buy a comparable Glock simply because I trust them more at the present time. But that could change.

I have the MR920 which is a clone of the G19 and can make a direct comparison to the G19. If you like the look and feel of a 5th gen G17 (or G22) the SS clone will feel the same.

IMO the Shadow Systems guns are MARGINALLY better in theory. In practice, who knows. I trust a Glock to work. These clones of a Glock haven't been around long enough to say for sure.

My purchase of the Shadow Systems gun was really an impulse buy. The regular price on those is $700. I just happened to be in an Academy Sports who had a FDE colored one marked at $550. I was planning on getting a G19 or G17 MOS to mount an optic on and the SS pistol was priced cheaper than the MOS Glocks I'd been looking at.

For now, it's a range gun that I bought to experiment with optics on a pistol. I'd want more trigger time with it to trust it the way I would a Glock. But I can't say anything negative about it. For the same money I'd still buy a comparable Glock simply because I trust them more at the present time. But that could change.
How would you compare the grip texture differences? Looks like the SS stuff has that sand paper like texturing.

My son shot my tricked out MR920Elite with a compensator, lighter recoil spring, and Timney trigger and fell in love with it and talked me out of the gun. He carried a privately owned G17-5 on duty and now a G19x. He owns a bunch of Glocks, PSA Daggers and added a compact or subcompact Shadow Systems that he carries off duty. When he switches from the Glock to the MR920, he notices the difference.

The tang on the Shadow System help to get a high grip and mitigate recoil forces, allowing for faster follow up shots, of course, the Timney trigger and compensator also do their part.

I liked the grip shape and texture on the MR920 I had ( vulture gun buddy talked me out of it). I recall the texture as more comfortable than the Gen5, but still effective. They include grip inserts which alter the grip angle a bit too. I switched to the one that was more 1911-like.

The optics capable version sits the optic lower than other pistols, meaning you can use the lower profile sights included with it and still co-witness, if your optic itself is sufficiently low profile.

Make sure you like using one of the optics compatible with your Shadow, though: it DOESN’T fit everything. The manual tells you which dots they have tested, and maybe their site does too. Works with Swampfox Liberty for sure, which has a nice low profile.

My one significant disappointment with my Shadow was that the trigger was mediocre; a ripoff for the higher price even though the rest of the gun is a bit better in terms of features, style and feel, than a standard Glock.

Having just looked at their site, I noticed their Foundation series loses several of the premium features mine had to get a lower price point. The grip frame sounds the same though.

Last edited:
Back