Glock 17- finally shot 1000 rounds out of it but its shooting horrible!

AgtTanner

When I first purchased the G17 It shot perfect. My greediness got to me though. Every time I go to the firing range I'd go through at least 250 to 300 bullets im usually there for about 2.5 hours. I was shooting great at first from 30' but now my shootings gone to hell. Aiming at the X i usually hit the 9 or 8 its horrible and this is really depressing me!!! Im wondering if excessive shooting has affected the gun in any way? Another wierd problem was that after about 200 rounds the pin which holds the gun together starts to come out slightly. Could of been fatigue on my part but just checking if excessive rounds will affect the gun.

I have a Glock 26 that has going on a thousand rounds through it. There is no degredation of accuracy as far as I can detect. As long as you keep it clean, the G17 should be fine. BTW, what are you shooting through it?? You might have lead, or copper fouling in your barrel.

6000 and going strong

My three year old M19 has had over 7000 rounds through it and shoots as it did the day I bought it. Which is great. And that has been mostly reloaded hard cast bullets. Glocks reliability is one of the main reasons I was thinking about buying an M27, just worried a bit about the size of the M27 grip and recoil.

Sounds like something is wrong with your gun, like the lockup has worn badly. I always oil all the metal parts excessively when at the range and then clean things up for carry. I don't go overboard, but there is plenty of oil to try and limit wear. You might want to have the gun gone over by Glock.

After 2.5 hours, I would think fatigue IS a factor, also, have you changed ammo brands/types?

1000 rounds is five weeks worth of shooting for my Glock 34, and it's well over a year old (about 15,000 rounds thru it so far) so I can't imagine yours has been damaged by such a small number of rounds.

Do check your barrel for fouling build up, and take a break of a few days while you do it, then go back and try again. You might also try some different ammo, as some brands/styles shoot better than others.

Probably shooter fatigue because a Glock takes close to 100,000 rounds to show any wear. If the locking block pin is backing out, it is probably sligthly bent, and you can get a new one free from Glock. If you are shooting lead reloads, which I don't do without an aftermarket barrel, accuracy will become worse with lead buildup.

The effects of recoil are cumulative, even in a 9mm. Reduce your sessions to a 100 rounds, you will do better.

A 1000 rounds in a Glock means that the gun is broken in,do you clean and lube your pistol after each session. Glocks, like all other firearms need to be maintained.

Glock 17

I would say that your practice sessions are too long. It's very hard to keep your concentration going for that period of time. When I carried my issue Mdl 22, I put many more rounds than 1000 thru it without any noticeable accuracy loss (of course it wasn't very accurate anyway). Shorten your sessions, and concentrate on the basics. Good luck...

If you're using more than four or five small drops of oil on your Glock, then you're overlubricating. Check out the lubing information available on glockmeister.com, under "Free Services". Absolutely, positively, don't put ANY oil anywhere near the striker channel.

GREAT FEEDBACK GUYS... I think it is fatigue and another factor is that I havent been oiling my gun properly. The gun dealer told me that glocks dont like to be lubricated and that I should only lubricate the slide. Is that true? After reading the manual I just went with what the manual said which is the best advice of course! Thanks

Lubrication is not the issue as long as it's shooting. Practice with only 75 to 100 rounds a session and get a more experienced shooter to give you feedback on your breathing, stance, ammo selection, etc.

It may be the bullets. PMC is not the most accurate ammo out there as is a lot of the cheap range ammo they push for you to buy.

Take a week off and then focus on shooting only 50-60 rounds 4 rounds at a time. Check out Combat Handgunning by Chuck Taylor really developed my shooting skills and my accuracy. :)

a Glock definitely isn't going to fatigue or break on you after just 1000 rounds. i don't know one of the pins started to come out that's weird. my G19 has over 3500 rounds thru it and going strong. it's more likely shooter fatigue. i find i shoot better towards the beginning of a range session than at the end. if i shoot around 150-200 rounds in 1 range trip by the end my groups open up quite a bit.

the proper way to lubricate a glock is to put 1 drop of oil on each slide rail and let it run down covering the whole rail in a light coat of oil. you could put a little oil on the outside of the barrel if you wanted and a really tiny drop on each frame rail. the most important part on a glock to lubricate is the area on the frame where the trigger bar meets the connector. it's alittle hook shaped thing sticking up on the back right of the frame, put 1 drop of lubrication on this little hookything. you only need about 4-5 drops of oil for your whole glock, do not over lubricate it.

Back