Glenfield model 25 S-L-LR build date?

Hey fellas, found a Glenfield model 25 (S-L-LR) at the botrim of a lot I picked up at auction. It was pretty beat up, no magazine, the bolt and stock were....ugly to say the least. Think years of shellac....lol. Anyway, I enjoy project guns and to my surprise the bore was immaculate. Mirror. So, my son just turned 13 and I am going to give it to him for his birthday. Got all the parts that were missing, refinished the stock, and repaired/finished the bolt. Turned out beautifully. Really. I'll post a pic. Now the point, long winded I know. How do I find the build year? S/N is 256791XX. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
-If they wish to have a war, let it begin here.

That's a good question but besides knowing an age why would you want to know. The value of the gun being a Glenfield is less than a Marlin and I bet you put as much money into parts as it's worth.

I have one also and it shoots fine and does the job. Bet it didn't cost more than $25 when my dad bought it.

Go over to rimfirecentral.com, there is a Marlin bolt gun section. Just join and post ask the question. There are Marlin experts there that will know the manufacture date. I would value it at $125-175 around here.

Here is mine that I paid $175 for

IMG_20150607_083720_930_1.jpg

The Model 25 was produced from about 1978 to the mid-1980s. It was a slightly improved version of the Model 80. I have seen many, many Marlin 80s over the years without serial numbers, so I suspect they were not serialized until required to do so by law.

They are indeed great little rifles. If you need parts again, please be aware that the subsequent version - 25N has many parts which are not interchangeable with the 25 - notably the safety mechanism and the magazine. The safety is probably something you would never need to replace but the magazine is something you might be in the market for - even just for spares. The two magazines differ visually so when you are shopping you should be able to spot the correct one for your 25.

I have owned multiple model 20's and 25's. They are great no frills bolt action .22's.

Magazines for the model 20 and 25 are the same and can be easily found.

Here is one source. At $14.99 they are a fairly priced IMO.

http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=402898

I can not de-conflict the previous comment about model 25's being manufactured starting in 1978. However by using Marlin's standard Serial Numbering convention, your speciffic rifle was made in 1975. I wrote a blog on this very issue here. (Now viewed over 117K times :) )

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/marlin-serial-numbers-dates-of-manufacture-1664.html

Used model 20/25's are very consistent in their price. At least here in my home state of Georgia. About $125-$175 retail.

Happy New Year,

Rob

Back