Glenfield 30A

mnhunter3030

Greetings friends,

I own a 1974 glenfield that is having issues with remington corelokt factory ammunition. I get 4 -6 no fires out of a box of ammo, I recently had the hammer spring replaced, head space checked and fireing pin checked and still the problem persist. Now ive fired several rounds of other manufacture brands such as Winchester Hornady and Federal without issue. any thoughts, has remington really lost the quality control, even get misfires in the browning.

The old man has used remington his entire hunting span some 40 plus years with out issue in a winchester 308 of one form or other

What happens on those 4-6 that don't go bang? Do you get firingpin dents?

I'm sure something more is happening besides hard primers.

I just want to jump to conclusions and blame the ammo, which may indeed be the case. However, it could be a sticky firing pin. If you are getting good dents on the primers, it's probably bad ammo. If not, I would say to remove the bolt and clean it thoroughly making sure the firing pin is not rusted or gummed up with old oil and debris.

miss fire

Gentlemen, thank you for input, this rifle has been cleared by two qualified gunsmiths two different gunsmiths. I personally removed the fireing pin and there was no sign of rust or build up. the gunsmiths like wise were asked to remove and clean the pin replace hammer sping double check head space. the rounds i did fire had showed no sign of weak strike and miss fires came from a mix of several boxes not just one. im going to give my dads old bolt action 3030 a try out and see how it does.

Is that Remington ammo of recent manufacture? I prefer Winchester or Federal for factory made ammo, and my own reloaded ammo over any factory ammo.

3030glenfield

all rounds were twice fired then put in a coffee can and soaked with vegetable oil. these were recently purchased remington corelokt ordered from cabelas.

Sounds like defective ammo to me. Maybe you should call REMINGTON CUSTOMER SERVICE 800-243-9700. Make sure you have the boxes at hand when you call so you can read them the lot numbers.

actually i was hoping that soaking them in the oil might seep into the powder and ruin it preventing an accidental fire? before taking it to the local pd and having it disposed of properly.

As a reloaded, I would just dismantle it and reassemble with fresh primers an powder. You could give them to someone that would do so. But Remington might wish to examine them.

It probably won't help you since you're soaking them in vinegar but if you aren't a reloader and want to get at the powder take an empty 30-30 case and put it over the bullet end and pry back and fourth a few times. The bullet will then come out and you can dump the powder. Or you could use pliers or vice grips.

To "dispose of properly" it's simple to pull the bullets and bury the cases.
That's much easier than taking them to a PD

Back