Glendening & MD Alert

dZ

Glendening also said he would seek safe-gun legislation next year that eventually would require
each handgun sold in the state to have technology that prohibits anyone but the owner from
being able to fire it. Glendening sharpened his criticism of gun manufacturers today, saying that
in the wake of several school shootings nationally, it is time to tell them, "Stop killing our
children."
http://search.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPlate/1999-08/22/160l-082299-idx.html

"Do not listen to the gun manufacturers who say this cannot be done," Glendening said. "The
technology is being developed to make childproof handguns that are reliable and affordable.
Just like air bags and childproof aspirin bottles, the industry will not do what is right until we
make them do what is right."

[This message has been edited by dZ (edited August 23, 1999).]

Then he must want to ban swimming pools too. Those drowning machines (c'mon, ya can't live under water for more than a few seconds!) accidentally kill three times as many children each year as are accidentally killed by guns.

To his "childproof bottle" analogy: there's a study somewhere showing that such caps may have actually increased the number of child deaths, as adults rely on the mechanical solution (easily bypassed by kids) instead of doing what is fundamentally better (safe storage).

so i'm sitting on the metro train thinking about smart guns...

if they make smart guns the only legal handgun for purchase
and these guns can only be fired by the legal owner...

then they will allow more permits to carry right?

;)

dZ

So a "smart" gun could not be used to shoot innocent people? Cow exhaust!

The people of MD need to de-throne this fascist!

I like the analogy to air bags since air bags have been proven to be extremely dangerous to children. So much so that now they say children must only sit in the back seat.
And of couse everybody knows if you can't get the aspirin bottle open you just give it to the closest kid.

Smart guns? Stupid idea.

Good old American ingenuity used to solve a real "problem". This fantasy, even if realized, will solve nothing it pretends. Government mandated technology has been historically super expensive and marginally usefull. The free market tells the producers of these technologies when to produce them. When government creates the market by mandate you get another inferior product that inflates the overall costs for everyone. Another form of gun control. The impluse to be a single issue voter concerning guns is understandable. This is an example of the importance of being aware of the economic policys of a potential candidate also.

Remember back when I said the was a bad idea that would become mandatory? And the NRA backed it? And I was told it was only an option and options are good?

Well, ITYS (I Told You So!). Thrrrrppp!

MD gets an HCI A- for gun control too...

dZ

[This message has been edited by dZ (edited August 29, 1999).]

Back