Glad I still know how to work on a 1911

AzShooter

I recently bought a 1911 clone, the GSG 1811 22. It's been a fine gun but after 1000 rounds it stopped working.

Took it home today and found that the firing pin went bad do I ordered a new one along with a new thumb safety and an accurizing kit from CW Accessories.

I took the GSG apart to find out about the firing pin. It wasn't as difficult as a 1911, most of the operation is the same, but the upper bolt system is different.

All the parts I bought were for the standard 1911. As they come in and I put them on there have been no issues.

It's fun to shoot, the firing pin replacement is an oddity unless you dry fire the gun a lot. I use a #6 drywall screw as a blank but still have to replace the firing pin.

Next, I'm going to delete the series 80 parts.

Help me...I'm addicted.

$300 GSG 1811 22 caliber pistol
$500 of custom 1911 parts
100 hours of labor and machine time
Value of the "improved" GSG 1811= $300
Value of the "fun" of doing it yourself= priceless.

Been there, done that.:)

AzShooter said:
I took the GSG apart to find out about the firing pin. It wasn't as difficult as a 1911, most of the operation is the same, but the upper bolt system is different.
I'm confused. I've seen and handled GSGs, and they look a lot to me like any other 1911 -- they have a receiver and a slide. What is the "upper bolt" and how is it different from any other .22 Rimfire 1911? Are you referring to the removable breech insert?

Probably. I'm not sure of the nomenclature and the owner's manual doesn't give parts named. It's where the firing pin and extractor are, in the slide.

I know what you're talking about but I can't post the schematic from Numrich due to copyright issues and forum rules. I don't think I've even seen or heard of that insert being called an "upper bolt" -- in fact, I don't think I've ver seen it called anything. It's part #14 in the schematic, IIRC ...

Okay, Numrich calls it the "breech bolt." In reality, the entire slide of a 1911 is the "bolt," so I would tend to call that insert something else (but that's just me).

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/gsg/m1911-22lr

Well I finally got my schematic from Numrich. It was the breech bolt. Today I had to replace the plunger safety assembly. That will just shoot out when taking the safety off. I ordered 2 replacements just in case it happens again but I think I'll take the gun apart in a plastic bag next time to capture the small parts.

I also received the accurizing kit from CW Accessories and installed that. All I need now is the new firing pin. I learned the hard way that you can not dry fire this gun without a snap cap.

Back