Girsan MCP 35 mix and match

Trooper Joe

I just picked up my new MCP35 PI, all black, from Kentucky Gun Company for only $475 with free shipping. I figured out how to remove and replace the guide rod/recoil spring system with the help of a video posted by BH Springs (great company). After playing with it for about an hour and with the help of one of those NOS coated original Browning mouse trap magazines, really got it smooth (no need to remove the mag safety system which I would not do anyway).

I started looking at both my MCP 35 two tone and this new all black MCP 35 PI and thinking that the grey frame from my full size model would look real good on the PI model. Tried them and they were like silk as well as the trigger pull. Checked them over very close and could see no difference in dimensions at all.

So I thought, why not mix and match. I originally thought that the two tone MCP 35 was sort of a strange color combination anyway.

Now that’s what I am talking about. The MCP35PI looks much better. Shown here along with a photo of one of those great “mouse trap” original mags.

Shown here is a borrowed photo of a set of Hogue grips I just ordered that will be installed on my now all black MCP 35. They will look great on my now proper colored MCP 35.

I have both of these guns smoothed out with a no grit trigger pull of about 5.5 pounds. The coated Browning mag really helps with this.

The Browning mag is only 13 rounds so if I want to use the original MecGar 15 round mags that came with these guns, the pull is similar. A little grit as the safety mechanism slides over the front of the magazine but the break is also about 5.5 pounds.

Love these Grisan guns. They are very close to my original BHP “Practical” but a lot more budget friendly.

Trooper Joe

Here is a better photo of the first Girsan two tone PI model. I was issued a confiscated BHP in 1974 when I was promoted to Detective Sargent. This compact PI model would have worked much better.

Trooper Joe

I like the pictures, you took some good ones. Nice looking handguns!
Let us know how they shoot!
My friend has a couple Turkish cz75 clones and they accurately and functionally digest the 124 grain powder coated hollow points really well.

I wasn't aware that Girsan makes a short-barrel version. I've handled one of the Argentinean FM Hi-Power "Detective" models and I liked it very much. I don't think those are available any more -- this could be a great substitute for a more carry-friendly Hi-Power.

Curious, how (and why) is "mousetrap" being used referring to a Browning magazine??

I've had HP's before and never found anything about them or their mags that reminded me of a mouse trap in any way, so, where is this coming from??

Look at the photo of the Browning mag. The spring system at the rear base of the mag is (in some circles) known as the “mouse trap”. It’s purpose is the let the mag drop free which it would not do because the mag safety is dragging on it. Also, these original Browning mags are coated which allows the mag safety system to slide across the the front of the mag with less friction. This really smoothes out the trigger pull on a BHP gun.

Range report

This is five shots at about 15 yards (bench sand bag, I can’t shoot off hand that good any more). This is with the PI slide on the grey frame from my full size MC35, using Norma 115 grn ball ammo. 147 grn Federal defense ammo shot just above point of aim.

I switched the slides back to their frames and got similar results. I then tried full mags of both 115 ball and 147 hp ammo with no hiccups. I am very happy with these results.

I then installed my new Hogue wood grip panels on my full size MC35. I like it a lot better than with the black plastic grips.

Trooper Joe

Look at the photo of the Browning mag. The spring system at the rear base of the mag is (in some circles) known as the “mouse trap”.

OK, I looked, and I get it, now. I was confused by your use of the term "original Browning Mag".

It's a Browning made (or marked anyway) magazine, but a coated magazine with a "mousetrap" (ejector?) spring is certainly not the original Browning magazine design.

“mouse trap” magazines

I found this explanation of the “Mouse Trap”. BHP magazine in a post by “CMX” in 2016 in the 1911 Forum.

…….” The 'mouse trap' spring is a solution to a problem introduced by the French early in the life of the HP...

It is really an excellent example of unintended consequences...

First, the unnecessary magazine interlock was added to the HP in response to a French design requirement... the useless interlock in turn resulted in the magazine not dropping free when the release is pushed... much to the disgust of Americans who realize the import of fast re-loads (Americans tended not to throw down their gun at the first sign of the enemy.) To solve this problem, FN introduced the 'mouse trap' spring, which made the magazine drop free once again...

In order to understand this mess, you have to realize that the Belgians admire the French... possibly the only people in the world who do, other than the French themselves... For this reason, the designers at FN failed to appreciate the improvement the Germans made to the HP during their occupation of the FN plant when they deleted the magazine interlock from the HP which had been a simple and logical solution to the original problem... Probably, because the fix to the problem was German and not French (no one seemed to appreciate German stuff back then), FN promptly restored the interlock after the Germans returned the FN factory to Belgian operation (keep in mind Belgium was the country whose railroads went on strike against the Allied forces in 1944!!!)

Thus, we get back to the 'mouse trap' spring which had the effect of ejecting the magazine with the interlock present in the HP, but it also has the unintended consequence of damaging the finish of the butt of the pistol behind the magazine well... sort of a self finish ruiner... at no extra cost!!! :scratch:

When I get a gun with these works of genius, I remove them from the gun and replace them with MecGar magazines... which are inexpensive and very high quality, with 15 round capacity available... AND lack the self wrecking option... :rolleyes:

AND... that is the true story of how the HP came to have magazines with the 'mouse trap.' ..”….

Very interesting. I first found these “Mouse Trap” magazines on some Argentina HP guns I picked up about 2005. The prior owner must have purchased them.

A side note, I bought one of the last FN BHP Practical models made during the last “standard” capacity ban. It came with two 10 round, coated, mouse trap magazines.

If I was going to carry one of these BHP’s, I would load it with a mouse trap 13 round magazine and then carry a MecGar 15 round mag for a spare back up.

Trooper Joe

Browning created the original design, and made (at least one) a prototype. Then he passed away. FN continued work on the design, and, at the request of the French included a magazine disconnect. The pistol was produced starting in 1935, and FN called it the Browning Hi Power.

France didn't buy any.
Germany occupied FN in the spring of 1940.

I feel quite confident that guns made under German control lacking the magazine disconnect had NOTHING to do with the desire to have the magazine drop free.

The German military didn't care about magazines dropping free. This should be obvious just from looking at their primary service pistol at the time, the Walther P.38.

I believe that the German "management" of FN dropped the magazine disconnector from the pistols made under their control simply because it was an unnecessary part, that did a job they didn't need done, and leaving it out harmed nothing, and saved both time and money in the production process.

After liberation, FN went back to making them the way they had before the war.

Thanks for the refresher 44AMP.

In regards to the “mouse trap” magazine issue, I am starting to think I will stop using them for everyday range visits.

One poster on another forum commented on the issue that the “mouse trap” spring assembly will eventually mar the base of the frame.

Also, I noticed that the information I posted from CMX in 2016, listed the same concern.

My three HP’s (2 Grisans and one BHP Practical) have evidence that the spring has communicated with the frame but haven’t really marred it up yet.

I will save them for if I ever decide to use these guns for defensive carry (probably in the door of my truck since they are too heavy for my belt and “Budweiser” belly :) )

Trooper Joe

Update on my earlier post:

I spoke today with someone who has personally examined two HP's WaA marked, made by FN during the occupation. One made in 43 and the other in 44 and he informed me that both of them had magazine disconnectors.

SO, it appears that during the Nazi years, FN made HP's with the magazine disconnectors. It is possible some of the FN guns made during those years were made without them, but it is also possible (and I suspect more likely) that a German marked FN HP without a mag disconnect likely had it removed by some owner after the war.

Lots of folks did that, as it was a simple way to improve the HP's trigger pull. Some did it simply because they detest the idea of a magazine disconnector.

Update on my earlier post:

I spoke today with someone who has personally examined two HP's WaA marked, made by FN during the occupation. One made in 43 and the other in 44 and he informed me that both of them had magazine disconnectors.

SO, it appears that during the Nazi years, FN made HP's with the magazine disconnectors. It is possible some of the FN guns made during those years were made without them, but it is also possible (and I suspect more likely) that a German marked FN HP without a mag disconnect likely had it removed by some owner after the war.

Lots of folks did that, as it was a simple way to improve the HP's trigger pull. Some did it simply because they detest the idea of a magazine disconnector.
I happen to have a occupation era P35. Serial 160xxx- which according to quick research puts it at 1942. It has an intact magazine disconnect.

Maybe late-war guns were produced without.

Back