Girlfriend wants 1911 for first handgun?

Blue Duck357

My gal finally decided that since we moved to the country she needs to learn how to shoot. Great! She has no exp with any firearms, about 5 feet and 110 pounds, I brought out all my pistols trying to steer her to the 3 inch model 65. Well she has no interest in it whatsoever, the grips are to big for her, but she says it just feels to unbalanced and clunky regardless. Then she spots the 45 auto 1991A1, picks it up and says "I want one like this". I explained a revolver is considered better for a beginner but she seems really set on the 45 auto. Were going out tommorow to try a few pistols out at the range (including the 1991)

What do you think?

Regards, Blue Duck

Ducky,

For what it's worth... went out shooting with my daughter and her boyfriend a couple of weeks ago. She had zero experience with pistols. After trying a Beretta 92fs, Sig P239 - 357 sig. she latched on to a 45 Taraus. The only way I got it away from her was when she ran out of ammo, everyones 45 ammo... She probably weighs about 5 lbs. more than your girlfriend. Some girls like em big I guess.

b.

You have the right idea -- take her to the range, let her try them out till she finds one she likes and shoots well. Then train her thoroughly, sign her up for a CCW permit, and you'll have someone to watch your back in cordite-enhanced social situations.

One of the great comforts of my married life is a wife who says "Let's go to the range Saturday, I need to practice". It's also a great comfort that she's a damned good shot and has her own CCW permit.

The range is perfect, 'cuz you never can predict. I brought my niece out to the range a couple of nights ago after she said that she didn't know anything about guns, but felt she needed to learn. I tossed the ruger .22 in the box with the Sig 225 in 9mm ... as I was leaving the house, I thought that I should go back and get the S&W 586 so that she could at least see a revolver (I brought an old bag of .38's). Well ... what does she like (and shoot) the best? My 6" 586 with the fullhouse .357 loads! They didn't smoke as much as the .38's and "they don't kick all that much ... but there sure is a lot of flame!" The moral of the story ... Start out easy with the .22's but don't try to second guess their final decision!

Saands

I agree with Saands.

Last summer I took a couple female friends (as opposed to girlfriends) to the range. this was their first time shootings and I started the on my AR's, because thats all I had at that the time. And the loved them. then we went over and they shot my friend 686 and both of them fell in love with revolver. so take her to the range, let her try a bunch of stuff and get her what she likes.

Yes, if she likes the recoil (vs 22), the feal, get it.
let her shoot it first, you know, so you dont pay for a gun she will hate.

Back