Gingrich hints of White House bid.

xnavy

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070912/NATION/109120056

I know some of you will bash Newt because of his past, but the fact remains this is probably the smartest conservative candidate that we would have. He is absoutely great at debates and could take Hillary apart. He is not part of the Bush regime in fact he has been very critical of Bush. This man also offers solutions to the problems this country faces. Thought I would pass this along.

If you haven't paid any attention to Newt because of what happened when he was Speaker of the House, I suggest you visit his website and read a couple of his latest books. I highly recommend "Winning the Future" a 21st centure contract with America. I know his chances are slim but he polls better nationally than another candidate who shall remain nameless at this time. At least now there are 3 candidates I could support. Thompson, Newt, and Huckabee.

Gingrich hints of White House bid
By Ralph Z. Hallow
September 12, 2007

Rodney Lamkey Jr./The Washington Times Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said he will conduct "workshops around the country through September 30," after which he will make a decision on whether to run for president.

Newt Gingrich is moving closer to a presidential nomination bid in a severely divided Republican Party.

"I will decide based on whether I have about $30 million in committed campaign contributions and whether I think it is possible to run a campaign based on ideas rather than 30-second sound bites," the former House speaker told The Washington Times yesterday.

Many Republicans, regardless of whether they agree with his views, regard him as conservatism's brainiest and most-engaging politician.
"The party believes ideas have consequences, and no one articulates our message better than Newt," said Michigan Republican Party Chairman Saulius "Saul" Anuzis.

Party strategist Tom Edmonds says Mr. Gingrich "is intellectually superior, but his challenge will be to stay focused." The first deadline for a Gingrich move is Oct. 15, when prospective and declared presidential nomination candidates must pay $500 to Utah to be on the state's primary ballot, said Gingrich confidant Randy Evans.

Mr. Gingrich is careful not to commit formally to a run.

"I will conduct workshops around the country through September 30, after which I will make a decision," he told The Times after a major policy address at the American Enterprise Institute.

Another factor is whether any current contender coalesces Republican voters before the middle of next month.

Former Sen. Fred Thompson and Rudolph W. Giuliani are each commanding a quarter of likely primary voters, while former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Sen. John McCain of Arizona each have about 12 percent support in the latest Rasmussen national poll of more than 600 likely Republican primary voters.

By contrast, 41 percent of Democrats in the same poll already have coalesced around New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, with Illinois Sen. Barack Obama at 20 percent and John Edwards at 17 percent.

Some social conservatives have moved to Mr. Thompson's side. They worry about further splitting the conservative vote. Pollster Scott Rasmussen says conservatives constitute about 60 percent of the party's primary voters.

"If we split the conservative vote, Rudy wins," says Free Congress Foundation President Paul M. Weyrich. "I have high regard for Newt. ... He would force the other candidates to face issues they don't want to face up to."
Mr. Gingrich has been getting his message out through policy addresses at the American Enterprise Institute, considered a major center of neoconservative ideas, and through a series of online workshops for his American Solutions for Winning the Future.

He says American Solutions is a nonpartisan effort "to defend America and our allies abroad and defeat our enemies, to strengthen and revitalize America's core values, and to move the government into the 21st century." Six years after the attacks of September 11, "we are having the wrong debate about the wrong report," Mr. Gingrich said in his AEI speech on Monday, the day Gen. David H. Petraeus gave Congress his report on the state of the Iraq war.

Mr. Gingrich figures he would need at least $30 million to conduct competitive television-ad campaigns in the first five primary and caucus states — Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and perhaps Florida or Michigan. The primary calendar is still up in the air.

"If this election is about money and structure, then we already know who our nominee is," said Mr. Evans, alluding to the well-organized and financed Giuliani and Romney campaigns. "If it's about ideas and a movement, then we may not know who our nominee is for a long time to come, because nobody has yet tapped into the core coalition of Americans who have a vision of where they think America should go."

Mr. Gingrich has proposed an informal committee of congressional lawmakers from both parties "to meet every two weeks with the next president" that would foster far less partisanship. He also proposed setting the budget for defense and intelligence at 5 percent of the nation's total economic output, almost double what President Bush settled for in 2002.

Last edited:
Agree he is very, very smart and extremely articulate. He would almost certainly take Hillary, or most of the other candidates for that matter, apart in a true debate. As I've listened to him speak on various talk shows etc. I've grown to like his positions on many of the issues.

However, his past will present an extremely difficult obstacle if he does decide to get into the race. Too many people feel he's 'mean spirited'. That's the reaction I've gotten any time I've mentioned Gingrich in any sort of discussion.

I don't believe he has any chance of getting nominated if he does decide to run

He's brilliant alright, and an excellent speaker and organizer. But he lost me bigtime last year when he said this:

Gingrich: Free Speech Should Be Curtailed To Fight Terrorism
By JOSH GERSTEIN
Staff Reporter of the Sun
November 29, 2006

A former House speaker, Newt Gingrich, is causing a stir by proposing that free speech may have to be curtailed in order to fight terrorism.

"We need to get ahead of the curve rather than wait until we actually literally lose a city, which I think could literally happen in the next decade if we're unfortunate," Mr. Gingrich said Monday night during a speech in New Hampshire. "We now should be impaneling people to look seriously at a level of supervision that we would never dream of if it weren't for the scale of the threat."

Speaking at an award dinner billed as a tribute to crusaders for the First Amendment, Mr. Gingrich, who is considering a run for the White House in 2008, painted an ominous picture of the dangers facing America.

"This is a serious, long-term war," the former speaker said, according an audio excerpt of his remarks made available yesterday by his office. "Either before we lose a city or, if we are truly stupid, after we lose a city, we will adopt rules of engagement that use every technology we can find to break up their capacity to use the Internet, to break up their capacity to use free speech, and to go after people who want to kill us to stop them from recruiting people."

Mr. Gingrich acknowledged that these proposals would trigger "a serious debate about the First Amendment." He also said international law must be revised to address the exigencies posed by international terrorists.

"We should propose a Geneva Convention for fighting terrorism, which makes very clear that those who would fight outside the rules of law, those who would use weapons of mass destruction, and those who would target civilians are, in fact, subject to a totally different set of rules that allow us to protect civilization by defeating barbarism before it gains so much strength that it is truly horrendous," he said.

The former speaker also pointed approvingly to England, where suspects in terrorism cases can be detained for several weeks without charge. Some of Mr. Gingrich's remarks about balancing freedom and terrorism were reported by the Associated Press on Monday and the Union Leader of Manchester yesterday.

In the same speech Monday, the former speaker expressed a more expansive view of First Amendment rights in the American political arena. Mr. Gingrich picked a fight of sorts with a potential rival for the Republican presidential nomination, Senator McCain of Arizona, by branding as a failure the campaign finance restrictions known as McCain-Feingold. The former speaker said the limitations have not stemmed the flow of money into politics and failed to curtail negative political advertising.

Mr. Gingrich has been traveling to politically important states, like New Hampshire, but said Monday he would not decide on a White House bid until September 2007.

Since the entire "War on Terror" is a farce from the get-go, then that makes him extremely loony and dangerous in my view.

He sure is right about McCain-Feingold not working to stop money flow into campaigns. But of course *everyone* in politics knew that from the beginning. It was just a feel-good measure designed to get people re-elected and to limit free speech by citizen's groups. Everyone including the bill's sponsors knew that.

Newt could be the greatest thing since sliced bread as they say, but, he has no chance whatever in winning any office at this time,,To think he does is fantacy, pure and simple.

Newt has been talking about this for two years. Everyone has already told him the same thing, with all the skeletons that have been in his closet he doesn't have a snowball's chance at election.

Unfortunately, with the exception of one - maybe two candidates - we as Americans aren't given any real choices in the election. Fred? Hillary? Rudy? Barack? Can you say bought off?

Can you say bought off?

Dude....

Here's the *real* truth (that THEY don't want to know about) behind the 2008 elections: I bought them off. That's right. Hillary is my house maid, Guliani is my inside man with the cosa nostra, and Fred? Well I don't mess with Fred.

Fred Thompson doesn't believe in myths such as Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and extraterrestrials -- and he knows their existence is myths since he killed them all with his bare hands. Also, he knows for a fact that Elvis is dead since he strangled him in a shopping mall in 1987.

What is your point here? Every election since the dawn of time has come down to the lesser of evils, and the ones with the most friends and the most $$ in all the right places. Embrace it.

Still looking for votes but this was interesting:

Alternate history collaboration with William R. Forstchen

In 1995, Gingrich collaborated with William R. Forstchen on the alternate history novel 1945, describing a World War II in which the US fought against (and defeated) Japan only, while Nazi Germany defeated the Soviet Union, and the two confront each other in a cold war that swiftly turns hot.

Among other things it was described as being "a disguised tract against gun control",as the key scene depicts an armed Tennessee civilian militia, led by Alvin York, defeating Otto Skorzeny's commandos, who raid Oak Ridge. It ended with a cliffhanger — Rommel invading Scotland and the British facing a desperate fight — but a promised sequel, provisionally called "Fortress Europa", has yet to be written.

Some years later, Gingrich and Forstchen turned to co-authoring an alternate history trilogy of the American Civil War, in which the Confederacy wins the battle of Gettysburg. The trilogy consists of Gettysburg (2003), Grant Comes East (2004), and Never Call Retreat (2005).

In 2007 they published Pearl Harbor: A Novel of December 8th, the first of a new series.

And this...

I consider this a ringing endorsement, I may just end up voting for him:

Armed for learning

By Paul Andersen
Aspen Times Weekly
Aspen, CO Colorado
May 7, 2007

Good SAT scores and tuition assistance are no longer chief prerequisites for entering college. Many of today's college students are gearing up in other than academic ways to face the many rigors of campus life.

For most kids, college is the first experience where they'll be on their own. It's also the first time they must rely on survival skills that are more akin to battlefields than to frat houses: Binge drinking and sex exploits pale when compared to armed massacres that murder scores.

According to arch-Republican Newt Gingrich, college students ought to be equipped with concealed weapons. That way they can defend themselves against nutcases like Virginia Tech gunman Seung-Hui Cho, a frightening candidate as the new NRA poster boy.

Gingrich remarked recently that students at Virginia Tech, if properly armed, could have shot it out with Cho and limited the slaughter.
Given this philosophy, it would be the obligation of parents to equip their college-age children with handguns, plus provide training in how to use them during armed skirmishes in the blood-spattered halls of academia.

As if it's not enough to worry about advanced algebra, students must now worry about gunbattles raging across campus. If Gingrich were in charge, colleges would institute a new curriculum that includes intro to self-defense, freshman marksmanship and barricade building 101.

Gingrich prefers escalation to disarming, and since gun control is absolutely verboten as a national debate, the gun lobby is proving successful in arming youth, regardless of whether they want to be armed. The gun lobby did make a concession, however, agreeing to list mentally ill people in gun screenings. This comes as a huge relief, assuming you know who the nutcases are before they shoot down 32 undergraduates in nine minutes.

"Mom!" hollers Billy, a college freshman packing for school. "I can't find the extra clips for my Glock. Where'd you put 'em?"

"Check your sock drawer, Billy. I think the extra rounds are in there too - the dum-dum hollow points Grandma gave you for Christmas. And don't forget the Mace. It's next to your deodorant in the bathroom."

"Jeez, Mom, do I have to take that, too? I think I'll be fine with just the Glock and the hand grenades."

"Billy! We want you to survive at least through graduation, so take it all, and I mean the shoulder holster, too. We didn't pay for quick draw lessons for nothing, and it looks good under your camo fatigue jacket.

"Oh ... And after lunch, I'm taking you down to Wal-Mart to pick up the latest in personal defense systems. Those designer denim bulletproof vests are making a big fashion statement that all the kids are going to be wearing."

Assuming Billy makes it through graduation without falling to a sniper assault, a suicide attack or a dirty bomb, he'll be capable of joining the ranks in whatever war de jour we're fighting. Gingrich and the gun lobby will have made a real American out of Billy by teaching him how to stay alive in the mean halls of Dartmouth.

Fortunately, I've got four more years to train my 14-year-old son for the rigors of college, including hand-to-hand combat with a protractor, close quarters shootouts in classrooms, and high-tech surveillance techniques in the cafeteria. He may need those skills in high school, so there's no time to lose.

Paul Andersen's column appears Mondays when he's not at the Yosemite Sam Target Range larnin' his boy how to shoot first and ask questions later.

Last edited:
Hes no Ron Paul

And that is why he at least has a small chance to win the nomination should he get in where Ron Paul has no chance. Newt's National Polling Numbers are above Ron Pauls, lol. Newt should be damned proud he is not Ron Paul.

Gingrich would get my vote. I like his views and he won't back down. Tells it like it is regardless of which party it irritates. Go Newt!

What is your point here? Every election since the dawn of time has come down to the lesser of evils, and the ones with the most friends and the most $$ in all the right places. Embrace it.

Embrace corruption,? that appears to be a worldwide concept and much of our problems.

Someone used the world dude is that permitted.:D

LOL xnavy first it was Fred now its Newt.....LOL

Newt......about as polar as Hilery
Good choice....lol

After the neocons drive the party into the ground....then maybe we will see just how "conservative" and "pro-gun" and "limited Govt" this GOP wants to be.
wow I guess some lessons just need to be learned the hard way.

LOL xnavy first it was Fred now its Newt.....LOL

Newt......about as polar as Hilery
Good choice....lol

Hmmm said I liked them both and I have yet to throw my support behind a single candidate, but these two have one thing in common, they both at least have a chance at the republican nomination where your Candidate RP has zero chance of getting it.

Back