Gibbs Summit question

Rugerno1shooter

Hello everyone! I am trying to figure out the twist rate in my newly acquired Gibbs Summit rifle (it’s a bolt action .45-70 off of the Lee Enfield action with a navy arms barrel and Williams sights for anyone who isn’t familiar with this). I emailed the Navy Arms Company asking them about the twist rate on those particular barrels but they didn’t respond. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Pat

Gibbs is gone. However, figuring out the rifling twist isn't hard. Put a patch on your cleaning rod, mark the rod with a felt marker near the handle. Run the patch through the barrel one complete turn and mark the rod near the chamber. Measure between the patch and the mark. That'll give you the twist.

Something about my previous post has been bothering me. Not sure what. Not accurate enough, I think.
Put the mark on the rod on the chamber end, with the patch in the chamber, as well as near the handle. Run the patch in one full turn using the handle mark as a guide and mark near the chamber again. The distance between the two marks is the twist. This'll be a bit more accurate than measuring to the patch. There. I feel much better now.

Back