Gibbs Quest III - Poss. Stock change.

Bigboy9970

Inactive
Greetings,

Looking at putting a Magpul Shotgun stock on a Gibbs / Lee Enfiled Ishapore type rifle. ...please bear w/me;

I want to change the stock on my new pick up, to something a little more conducive to me, without completely messing it up, ...and hoping someone here may have some good input or have done something similar:

I have searched here, others, google, and coming up w/ very little, if anything.
Or, I'm not entering the 'right' search terms, or who knows, ...

I have a 'New-to-Me' Gibbs Rifle Co. Quest III (Lee Enfield) Carbine. The Quest III is the Electroless Nickel version w/ an ATI stock as standard 'Re-issue.'
It is a 7.62 "Jungle Carbine" / Ishapore L.E.

It is a good pick up and not all that expensive. I got a good deal & don't want to go overboard on mods or "Bubba-upping" a good rifle. It will be a hunting, plinker, and 'scout' rifle.

I'm not a fan of the actual Ishapore issued wood stocks, nor the 'sporterized' monte carlo style grip on the ATI stock. I would prefer a more Remington 700 type 'tac' rifle grip. Not interested in the AR type mod (w/full respect to SIA) I can mod the grip a bit, but...

Has anyone put a shotgun stock on a Lee Enfiled rifle?
I can only find one mention from an old post, of putting an old 870 folding choate stock on one.

I found another old post on google mentioning 'somebody-somewhere' replacing one w/ a Mossberg Shotgun stock, but no other details.

So, with MINIMAL modding, could a New style Magpul Shotgun stock be secured onto the Gibbs Rifle to replace the ATI sporter stock?
Which version, 870 or Mossberg, should be utilized?

I know I will have to add a Shim or something to fill some of the gap in the stock mount, but what else am I probably missing or not thinking of?

Thoughts, suggestions, other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

There's is a firm out there that put an AK style sidefolder/pistol grip on an Ishapore plus a forward mounted red dot. It was literally a work of art, looked modern and classic all at the same time. If I keep my Ishy I'll try and have something similar done, eventually.

Unfortunately, I can't recall the website I saw the pictures on. IIRC, they also did DeLisle replicas, 7.62x39 conversions and such.

HTH and luck!

Yep, that was it... and a quick google made it clear I probably won't be sending anything to them.

Shame, I really liked the looks of that conversion.

Nothing you could do to a Gibb's would be any worse than what they did. Or what Special Interest Arms is doing. And people wonder why rough No. 4's are worth $300 plus.
ATI stuff is junk. You need a commercial aftermarket wood stock for a No. 1 Mk III Lee-Enfield. Boyd's is making 'em. $60US.

Back