Ghost Ring sights for handguns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJR

I just saw an ad for a ghost ring rear sight for a Beretta 92 and it got me curious (it's new to me). The ad claims 500% faster target acquisition. It seems to me that in a defensive situation, a ghost ring is just one more thing to get in the way.

Has anyone here had any experience with this setup? Pros/cons? It seems like a strange idea to me but I'd hate to miss out on a good thing just because of a bad first impression.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tried one at the gunshop. Didn't care for it myself, but that's just my opinion.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I agree that the target aquisition is faster, and I believe it would be generally quicker/easier to get off a quick shot with a Ghost Ring. I have one on a 10mm Glock hunting gun and it performed well in two hunting situations and my practical practice beforehand.

Heres the problem: I sent the gun (which has some other unique features) to a writer who was going to use it in a sidebar to an article. He had a horrible time getting anything reesmbling a Group. Being a writer, he is obsessed with printing group sizes with every hadngun review, and this was a very important thing to him. I suggested that he clamp the gun down and fire it. He did, and he got excellent groups, as he was expecting, given his previous experinces with Glock Handguns.

Lesson Learned: It is hard to get a consistent sight picture with a Ghost ring.

Part of the problem with handguns and ghost ring sights is the shorter sight radius. That will hinder, initially, tight groups. It will aid faster "rough" sight alignment for a center hit on a B-27 target.

Ghost ring sights really come into their own on shotguns and I think this is the reason people are starting to put them in handguns. On a shotgun, they are simply awesome. Excellant for CQB work in tighter quarters and short ranges and, with practice, adequate for B-27 center hits with slugs at 100 yards or more.

You may want to check out Ashley Outdoors for their express sights. They also work very well. I will most likely put my first set a Marlin 44 magnum lever gun. For a handy gun that is fast to deploy, this is a hot setup.

Sid
---
Tx FFL

Would ghost ring pistol sights be a factor in holster dimensions? I am also interested in these sights, but don't want to make such an investment without being fully aware of all corresponding side effects. All help is appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

John Coleman

Have a ghost ring rear/fiber optic front on my 1911. Faster than the BoMar, and okay for shooting groups (I shoot LOTS of groups).
No interference in my Milt Sparks holster, and no impact on carry or draw.
But if I could do it all over again I'd get the MMC adjustable rear (have one on my G20 and love it).

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back