GEW 98 "sporterized"

grande3202

Inactive
So, I picked up a Mauser GEW 98 that is stamped Spandau 1905. From what I can tell, it has been sporterized. None of the numbers match, but the bolt seems smooth in the receiver. The stock has been chopped short, but has not been sanded, but I believe the rear sight has been replaced. It does not have the "roller coaster" sight and it looks like the end of the barrel has been chopped off to be tight to the front blade. I am guessing that is all part of the sporterizing???? I doubt it is worth too awful much, but it looks like it will be a fun gun to shoot.

The question is it is stamped 7.92, which I have come to understand was standardized then. I was told I can fire an 8mm in it. Is this true or will I do damage to the gun and or myself?!?!?

Tried posting a couple of pics, but I guess they are too big.

Quick summary
- the 7.92 is the land diameter that was checked during proofing, as compared to the 8.2 mm bullet bullet diamter
- when the German military changed to the S bullet, all they did was ream the free flight area in front of the chamber, they didn't care whether the barrel grooves were 318 or 323. As they did that for millions of guns without problems, you can probably ignore it too.
- a lot of 8x57 rifles sporterized in the US where reamed for 8mm-06 due to the lack of 8x57 availability, if your 8x57 cartridge disappears in the chamber, check for that
- don't get me started on the IS vs JS ;)

Thanks

Thank you both for the response. I am brand new to the "antique" weapons. I have a feeling I got a raw deal on this because of my "uneducation." Education isn't always free, but will still be fun to shoot!!!

grande3202 said:
None of the numbers match, but the bolt seems smooth in the receiver.

FWIW, that doesn't necessarily mean the rifle's safe to shoot, as the headspace might be out of spec, with the different bolt.

I would suggest you have a gunsmith check the headspace, B 4 firing it.

I already have an appointment with a gunsmith for just that reason. Supposedly the guy I bought it from says he has fired quite a few rounds through it. We'll see....LOL

That only counts for something if he has all his fingers and DOESN'T wear an eyepatch, by the way. :)

Larry

Okay, I will at least disregard the limp. I thought however that I read many times even with all numbers matching, a differ bolt was acceptable because they removed the bolts when they cargo transported them.

German guns were numbered for just that one reason - to keep all the parts together. Guns were supposed to be remarked if they were reworked. Yes, a lot of bolts got swapped over the years, and many fit (as tolerances were pretty tight). But it's not guaranteed without checking the headspace.

Back