GEW 33/40 Mauser Help

dice55

Inactive
I own a GEW 33/40 Mauser caliber 7.92x57 I am trying yo find ammunition that is safe to shoot. It has markings on the receiver DOT 1941 so i'm not sure if I can us a modern load. Any suggestions on the proper round to shoot?

Last edited:
You can use a "modern" load. It will likely be listed as 8mm Mauser or 8x57, or 8x57JS rather than the German military designation of 7.92.
Modern, in terms of Mauser rifles, starts around 1905 when they went to the .323" S bullets.

Federal and Remington 8mm is rather mild to protect the really old guns like pre-1905 '98s and pre '98 designs.
Sellier and Bellot, expen$ive Norma, and "cu$tom" Nosler brands are full power.
Privi appears intermediate between US and Euro specs.

The G 33/40 is a lightweight as WW II infantry rifles go and recoil will be pronounced with full power loads. Read up at:
http://www.mausercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20804

If original German GI, collector interest is substantial.
If it has already been sporterized, its light weight is desirable for hunting.

Its a Mauser 98 Paterned Mountain Carbine. But I have read that its a Small Ring, with Metal removed to lighten it.
You can Use commercial loaded cartridges just fine.
Remington, Federal, and Winchester all offer cartridges, that are slightly down loaded, and perfectly safe. I would stay with the low velocity cartridges if it were me, because when you remove metal, you weaken it. So be safe.

That strikes me as excessive caution. The Germans (and the Czechs before them) thought the small ring '98 action of the G33/40 ample for full powered 8mm. Back when it was just another cheap surplus rifle from the losing side, the action was popular for building lightweight "mountain rifles" in .270, which was at the time the hottest round on the market. If dice can stand the recoil, the gun can stand regular European ammo.

Dice 55

I have tried that ammo you will get some Fail to fires, the best I have tried is the Romanian Light ball. Its very clean and reliable, but your rifle will shoot pretty high with it at 100 yards.

I tried some Romanian 8mm a couple weeks ago, and I had a lot of FTF's with it. Very disappointed because the ones that would go off shot to POI with my handloads. Pulled the bullets and scrapped the brass after having about 8 of 20 FTF's.

To the original poster:
I have a G33/40, you're good to go with any commercial 8mm ammo. IF its original, don't sporterize it puhleeze!!! I'll buy you a new Rem. 700 and trade you!

GregM

Back