Getting wife started

byerly

My wife is becoming interested in shooting and carrying a gun for self-defense. This makes me very happy, however I need some help on how to get her started. I'm picking up a Ruger 22/45 Thursday for us to practice fundamentals with. Also thought about getting her outside instruction. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks, Byerly.

My first handgun purchase for home protection was the Ruger GP100 .357 double-action revolver. Too nervous about 9mm's at the time, so I opted for the revolver. It is a little heavy, but it fits very comfortably in my little hands. I have been practicing with .38 rds--not much recoil. Recently started practicing with the .357 Magnum loads, and it knocked me around at first. (Not enough a** behind me I was told). Just more practice. It has been a reliable, accurate & respectable weapon. I chose this for home protection to put an immediate stop to any threat on my life. Whatever you choose, make sure your wife goes with you to get it -- she needs to see if it's going to be comfortable for her. That should be a key factor in her decision.

I would recommend your wife take a basic firearms course to get started. Sometimes professional instruction is the best way to learn (It's also much easier on the marriage ;))

------------------
~Blades~

Professional instruction is the best idea. Most states require it for CCW, even if your state doesn't it will help cover your rear if you ever have to shoot. Be sure to check out possible instructors. See if and what kind of certification they have, experience and past students. I know of at least two morons in my area who shouldn't be allowed to carry, much less instruct. Check with local gunshops, public ranges and LEOs to see who they recomend.
As for firearms, a new shooter can't go wrong with a medium frame double action revolver in .38 Spl or .357 Mag. Preferably with a four inch barrel, but a two inch is ok if they plan to carry that gun. Be sure to let her pick out what feels best to her and remember grips are easy to change to make it fit her even better.
Start with light wadcutter target loads and progress up the power scale as her skills grow. BTW: just because the gun may be a .357 it doesn't mean she must carry magnum ammo in it. If she is more comfortable and shoots better with a good .38 spl defense load thats fine. IMHO it's more important that she be comfortable and confident in her carry load than going for sheer power.
This should get her started on the right foot. As time goes on, if she should become interested in auto pistols, big bores or whatever, be sure to encourage her and help her try as many different types and calibers of guns possible. Who knows, she may just out shoot you. :)

by all means let her help in picking out the gun, even if it's not your first choice of gun, she'll be more comfortable. work up to a power level that is comfortable and she shoots well. remember, if the day comes she has to shoot, a hit with a 22 will do more than a miss from a 44. istarted my wife off with a 22. she carried it for several years before she wanted to move up to a 38. iflat-pointed stingers and loaded it with them. not my first choice, but she put 9 of9 in the ten ring every time with a 2" h&R 929
out to 30 yds. FWIW cmore

Have someone else instruct your lady. It's easier on domestic bliss.

------------------
Bruce Stanton
CDR, USN-Ret.

On the instruction side, if you're not a member of the NRA--I'd suggest you join, and utilize their resources for finding the best instructor for you and your wife.

First of all, Don't try to teach her yourself ;). I've seen more wives turned off by shooting by their husbands than anything else. No offense, but unless you have the patience of an Angel and the Wisdom of a god,......

That said, I would suggest one of the "Women Only" type instruction settings. You can send your wife to a Women in the Outdoors or Becoming an OUtdoors Woman SEminar, or some NRA instructors will occassionaly have "women only" classes. SImilarly, some CW instructors, depending on where you are, might offer a ladies class.

Get books. Get the SafetyOn cd-rom (search here for more info).

Get a Revolver. (note the period?) The Revolver is the best way to get someone used to a gun, used to being around guns, used to having a gun on their person or in the house "ready-to-go."

Good Luck.
(BTW_ you might also run a search here on this topic in general)

------------------
-Essayons

Back