Getting set for a great day plinking in the mountains!

Mr. Hill

Getting ready to load up and head to the mountains to grill steak and go shooting. NY strip steaks, Marlin 60, and Sig 220. I hope you all have a great day!

I just got back. Practiced with the Marlin in field positions (standing, kneeling, and sitting) as practice for upcoming elk season. Iron sights make you work for it. By the end, I was pretty dialed in. The Marlin's trigger isn't the lightest, but it breaks clean and works fine if you concentrate on breathing control and pulling that trigger straight back. I killed a 12 pack of orange Fanta with it several times over.

The Sig was fun. It doesn't particularly care for the WWB, but it tore up the cardboard Fanta box. Love the .45 ACP! I might replace the beautiful checkered wood grips with rubber grips, it was moving a bit too much in my shooting hand.

It was fun. But hot, even in the mountains. I love plinking in the mountains!

Practiced with the Marlin in field positions (standing, kneeling, and sitting) as practice for upcoming elk season.

I've never hunted elk, but I'm pretty sure you need more penetration than that Marlin 60 can give ya! ;)

You're certainly right about that! But breathing/trigger/stance practice is always good, regardless of the caliber.

lol I doubt it, these mountains were here long before me and will be here long after. I'll keep trying, though!

We found a severed foreleg of a mule deer in the place we were shooting. My little boys were fascinated. The 4 year old wanted to take it home with us; I had to convince him that his mother probably wouldn't appreciate it.....

We found a severed foreleg of a mule deer in the place we were shooting. My little boys were fascinated. The 4 year old wanted to take it home with us; I had to convince him that his mother probably wouldn't appreciate it.....
:p

I once found a complete set of caribou legs while scouting a campsite. I soooo wanted to take them home and make a coffee table with them, but I talked myself out of it. Had to find another place to camp, too -- it was obvious that a brown bear was responsible.

No mountains in Minnesota, but plenty of gravel pits -- my favorite plinking spots... :D

When I was a kid we were on vacation in Colorado and I found a deer foreleg while exploring, my mother did not appreciate me pretending it was a cane!

Back