Getting rid of Creep in the Model 70 trigger.

R&H

I just purchased a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter LT
I really like the gun and it is quite accurate. However I am dissappointed in the trigger. I have an older model 70 that has a really similar trigger that I was able to adjust pretty well. This new rifle however has a stiff trigger pull even with all the spring tension removed and it has quite a bit of creep. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Is there something I can do to fix this one or would I be better of bying and aftermarket trigger like a Timney?
Also if you have had experience with Timney's what do you think of them?

Thanks!
R&H

I use Timney triggers in my Rem. 700's. I bought a Timney for a Win. 70, but found that the trigger wasn't a drop-in. I don't mind doing a little fitting, but there were some poorly-illustrated instructions about grinding on the bolt. The illustrations really were poor.

I'd suggest that you have a gunsmith install a Timney (or Jewell, if you have the $$$).

Too bad the Win. trigger has no creep adjustment.

Winchester of late (like other makers) has tried to "lawyer proof" their triggers. The adjustment is still there and the same as ever. A LITTLE CAREFUL stoning or polishing can work wonders, but note the capitalized words. It is a job to be done with care and preferably by an expert.

Jim

Back